My New T5 fixture.

frewl

Market
Reaction score
I just got my Tek 4 ft. 6 bulb fixture in yesterday got the legs on it today. I know it was insane to pay 55 bucks for legs but they are nice and adjustable. Impressive legs but not 55 bucks impressive. The place where the tank is there isn't a really good way to hang it. I did go the the limited blue. I couldn't pass up (theoretically) 3% more par. The blue is deeper then what is in the pics.

I don't have the bulbs in yet they were shipped from Reef Geek and the fixture was dropped shipped from Sunlight Supply.

My first impression was Great they numbered the box that the light came in. Well it seems like there are 2 stickers with the number of the series. I have 8 of 100 so it says.

There isn't any fans but I really want to add some. Lets say that I'm just a bit overly paranoid.

This is my bulb combo. I talked to the guy at Reef Geek and this is what he suggested. I read a thread on RC and the bulbs seem to have good PAR with the exception of the Super Actinic but its really not there for PAR.

ATI Blue plus 2
UVL Super Actinic 1
UVL AquaSun 1
GE 6500K 1
GE 3000K 1

One odd thing I noticed when putting the legs on the fixture is that the legs are not set up either for acrylic or glass tanks. You have to turn one part around on each leg to do either. I just think this is odd since there isn't one that is just default. It would seem there are more glass users then acrylic. Not a gripe just something that I found odd.

I want to get a reading with a PAR meeting as soon as I get in touch with the guys at the Chattanooga Reef Club since its closer to my house.

Do not pay any attention to the very dirty tank. I'm still in the process of getting this tank together and aquascaped so I have been neglecting the front glass.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I like it. Your tank is going to be BRIGHT! I think you'll be okay concerning heat, too, with the lights that high off the tank. Is blue the only color that the housing comes in?

That looks really sharp! I like it in that blue color, and since the blue increases your par by 3%, you might want to consider some of my old racing stickers. Each sticker gave my car 5 more hp! Imagine what it'll do for your fixture.

Well I just have it that high until I can figure out the hieghth that I can get it without damaging the unit. I thought about going to Lowes and cutting a piece of acrylic to go over the bulbs but I dont know how much this would cut down the light. Trying the lesser of two evils so to speak.

It also comes in black but it doesn't use the 96% reflective aluminum just the 95%. Plus you don't get the nifty sticker on it that says you have number such and such out of 100. They were the same price so I couldn't resist.

my t5s are exposed to the water and they are about 1" above it. maybe 1.5". i haven't had any issues yet.

that fixture is awesome tho for realza~!

Nice fixture! I have the Maristar from Sunlight and love it...

I've got the same fixture over my 90 and love it. I went to a glass shop and had a piece of TEMPERED glass cut to make a shield. The plexi is a waste of time as the heat misshapes the plexi over time and it wont fit. I covered mine because I was worried about the salt and moisture corroding the endcaps. The WILL happen over time w/o a shield. Enjoy your new light!!

jdav;52139 wrote: my t5s are exposed to the water and they are about 1" above it. maybe 1.5". i haven't had any issues yet.

that fixture is awesome tho for realza~!
How long have you had it? Are reflectors not getting salt on them?

Yea I would actually slam the thing all the way down to maybe 4'' instead of the 8'' you have now, just so your hands can get in the tank without disturbing the light, if you can get it lower then go on ahead. Unless you have MH you don't need them that high, the heat from those things can be easily taken care of with 1 fan. You can easily gain upwards of 40% more light if you drop them down to 4''> I'll save you the mathematical equation but it's better if its' lower.
I even dropped my 800w MH from 16'' to 8''... let me tell you, wow! Some corals got a bit burnt but it's all good!

I do plan on chopping it short so to speak. I'm just trying to get everything situated. I got frags that keep falling on me. I have to pick up some more super glue gel. I want to get rid of the MJ1200 mod and get a Koralia. But then I would be loosing a lot of flow.

Congrats that is a great fixture. I have T-5's and I love them! Looks like we have a another T-5 pimp LOL! Your gonna love that unit.

I have the black version and I agree that you won't need the fans. But we do keep the tops on the tank to limit the spray that gets on the lights. I don't like running without the tops anyway because we have some fish that are overly enthusiastic in their pursuit of dinner.

I definitely like the blue and want to encourage you to get some red and white racing stripes.

Where did you get them from?

Psh... racing stripes are for ricers... Get some NOS cuz, then your sps ganna grow a 1'' in "9 seconds or less."

I got the fixture and bulbs from Reefgeek I definitely recommend them. They have a great selection of bulbs.

I may not be a T5 pimp but maybe I can pimp my T5's. I can get some tribal fish decals to put on it.

I know there are arguments about actively cooling T5's. I know that if you are overdriving T5's that they should be actively cooled but I like to make sure.

I'm having some heating issues but I don't think the lights really affected the heat. I added a fan to the sump, but I want to blow some air over the bulbs.

I finally got my grubby little hands on a PAR meter. I tested with the lights at the top position and then slammed down as far as they would go. Here are my test results.

With the lights at the highest position:

Just under the surface 307
Halfway down 200
Sand Bed 156

With the lights at the lowest:

Just under the surface 360-400
Halfway down 245
Sand Bed 200

These are rough readings. I really like my fixture and I'll be adding some racing stripes and decals to it this weekend since Jinny wants to be a smart @$$. :D

I'll be posting the pics this weekend after I get the vinyl cut for it. Really I'm not kidding. I'm thinking white for the vinyl. Anybody have a recommendation for the vinyl color I know white will show up.

You should use high temp vinyl for the thing. Maybe T-5 don't run as hot so you can get away with the 200 F vinyl. I have a good friend that makes and cuts them for a very good price.

BTW: I'll pay you $15 for gas and 2 frags of my good stuff if you come over and check my PAR. My readings are when my lights are higher up and i don't have the PAR meter anymore. PM me if you want. I have more stuff to give you for free. Such as a 64 oz of phyto with some Chetos and skrimps.

I finally got the vinyls for my fixture and here they are. I didn't just go with stripes I wanted to go with the theme. Tell me what you think.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I likey likey. Those stickers actually go well with the unit and make it look very sharp. :). I'm going to have to pimp out my tank now... I'm thinking of converting it into a low rider with some monster hydrolics for all the ladies :p.

pssss... I inject NOS directly into my protein skimmer and my corals grow superfast.

Back