My new tank lid!

Emmanuel

Supporting
Reaction score
Now that I’m stocking my waterbox 7226 with fish I looked around for lids to prevent any future fish jumping out. I found a few great lids but they cost around 300-500 dollars and production time fell anywhere from 10-16 weeks. After debating which to pick I spoke to my handy man father in law he decided to help make one! Soo off we go buying materials needed.

84F688BA-788F-407E-ABBE-F4F966770C05.jpeg

So we behind cutting and measuring all the pieces for the 6 foot tank and start drilling and cutting everything with an idea in mind!

A1A7F15C-CE3E-4ECD-8C8B-60F6DFF11003.jpeg
B7EE8FB0-F21A-446C-8566-42FF97F0ACC7.jpeg

We make the frame and add large feed doors on each side of the lid

100E61B0-80CF-4B96-8A7D-ADA6A61E6555.jpeg

Here’s a closer look on how we did the feed doors and brackets connecting to the main sides of the lid

F33305F3-982E-4B77-8021-BFBFCA1F3525.jpeg

This is the concept before we put the actual screen on the tank

5E6B939F-CAA0-49C5-9C43-087EE92C78ED.jpeg

After screening and placing it on the tank we soon realized since it’s a rimless tank it was just sitting on the glass and could easily fall into the water if not placed right so we began to cut the lid to make it a few inches smaller and re screen the entire lid so that it could be inside the tank and purchased some acrylic to make tabs to hold it across the entire tank. After cutting and riveting the acrylic to the lid, it created this more streamline, modern, and clean look! Not only for way less money (which means I can spend on corals and fish hehe) but took WAAYYY less time!!

2C48FF72-2ADA-40FA-BBC8-6FAE2CFF3ABB.jpeg

D6D26FB8-68A3-44A5-98E2-A20FD42D9CF5.jpeg

I hope you all enjoyed this journey with me!!!

Hey that looks really good. But I have to ask are you using a metal screening or is that fiberglass?

looks amazing... the only issue is going to be the acrylic, after time it will start to warp and bend.... but i also see all the rivets you added to it... hope that that actually helps with that one issue.

looks amazing... the only issue is going to be the acrylic, after time it will start to warp and bend.... but i also see all the rivets you added to it... hope that that actually helps with that one issue.
Thanks for the advice and I’ll keep an eye out for that! Also for the acrylic rails. They sell them in sheets at Home Depot and then we just cut them into the rails.

What is the hardware (hinges and screws) made out of and is it reactive to salt water? The top looks beautiful.

Hal is going to hate that I saw this, he has made all of ours out of the window framing and fiberglass mesh. Yours looks really great!

Back