My RBTA split

mkinna1

Market
Reaction score
This bad boy has been in my tank for about two months now and split. It was so cool! The poor little yellow stripe is so confused, it does not konw which one to feed or live in for that matter. It runs back and forth all day.
101766=6346-0718072139.jpg
>
101766=6346-0718072139.jpg
class="gc-images" title="0718072139.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a> When I first bought it.
101766=6345-1116071811b.jpg
>
101766=6345-1116071811b.jpg
class="gc-images" title="1116071811b.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a> YOu can see it starting to split
101766=6344-1116071811.jpg
>
101766=6344-1116071811.jpg
class="gc-images" title="1116071811.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a> Now there is two sorry its kind of dirty, i didnt want to mess with them while they were splitting and I am using a phone to take the pics

Sorry the tank is so nasty too! I got that huge tang from someone just to help the guy out b/c he had way to many fish in a small tank and the tang had just knocked over a powerhead and made a mean cloud of dust under the rocks! I had to get the pictures though.

yea a few people have said they wanted it already lol im holding these two and I hope they will split pretty quickly because this one grew like a weed. The one has a home if he ever moves to a rock, but any more splits are up for sale.

Hey Mine did too! I have had it since about September and out of no where it split! I was so surprised and happy. I lost some fish recently and was worried, but it seems they were just not healthy when I got them because the corals look good as do the old fish and then My RBTA Splits! Very exciting! Congrats!

102035=6368-1119072105.jpg
>
102035=6368-1119072105.jpg
class="gc-images" title="1119072105.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a> Here is a little better picture!

dawgdude;102020 wrote: What lighting do you have on the tank and do you feed your RBTA? I have never had really good success with them. Can yall tell me what your doing so I can figure out what I can do differently?

I feed them every other day. I feed them mysis shrimp usually but last time the FS only had a combination of mysis shrimp/blood worms and some other stuff. Actually the tomato clown seems to love it so between the clown and the RBTA, it never lasts long... As for the lights - they are the ever unpopular PC's. Must say everything seems fine. I do closely monitor all levels. I add calcium as needed and do frequent water changes.

dawgdude;102020 wrote: What lighting do you have on the tank and do you feed your RBTA? I have never had really good success with them. Can yall tell me what your doing so I can figure out what I can do differently?

To tell you the truth I have never fed the thing. Everytime I feed the tank my clown feeds the BTA first and then he eats which I think is awesome! I was just running T-5s, but I just added a 250w halide over it. It decided to split after I thought the tank was ruined lol. The overflow slowed down and the pump kept running the tank got to like 91 and everything bleached out! I was scared to death!!!! It all healed, I only lost one birds nest and the rose split and another brown BTA split like 5 times it was one big one but now its 5 little ones but I am wondering if it is a BTA who knows. I really have not done anything special besides the tank almost crashing but I wouldnt try that;) Good luck just make sure the one you buy has a good foot and is attached good at the store its best if the one you buy is attached to a rock and you can buy the rock and all so they dont pull it off but just make sure they dont hurt it pulling it off the rock or glass!!! Good luck

Yeah, My tanks temp went way up - about 85. Must have bumped the heater or maybe was due to warm days and no air conditioning? Either way I lost a couple of fish and I think it was due to the heat as well. They were new and ended up with some gill illness. I tried to treat them but too late. The remaining fish and corals look great. I have an elegant coral that gets huge. My son thought the warmth had something to do with the split. I think that and the constant diet but then again best laid plans... who really know why any of these guys do what they do???

My algae is getting bad though. I just ordered a HUGE clean up crew. I just hope it helps.

Wow I wonder if the heat did it? Does anyone know if this is a fact???? I might pull one of those guys out and start a tank for him and just crank the heat up once a month. I thinks these guys are pretty costly now right??

Sounds like 'nems are more prone to split under stressful conditions or when recovering from stressful conditions. Believe this is a survival technique?

When I got mine a few months ago, I was told it was on the verge of splitting. It's done nothing but park in one spot and grow. A very dedicated clarkii clown feeds it daily. I have a MH pendant hanging above that corner of the tank that is on for 4 hours/day (rest of lighting cycle is PC's).

Seems happy. If it never splits, I'm fine with that. I like them large and beautiful.

:)

Yea maybe they figure less surface area less heat lol I dont know I wish someone would post that really knows about them Linda you only run the halides for four hours??? I dont know if its good but I run mine like 11

mkinna1;102065 wrote: Yea maybe they figure less surface area less heat lol I dont know I wish someone would post that really knows about them Linda you only run the halides for four hours??? I dont know if its good but I run mine like 11

Nem is not in a large tank and will eventually be under T-5's in a 90g. I figure as long as the nem is not bleaching (or showing other signs of stress), stays parked low at the edge of the sandbed (instead of scrambling up onto the rocks to get more light) and is being fed regularly by the clown, then it must be okay. I think the rule of thumb is, if you're not feeding your anemone, it needs more light to make its own food. I could be wrong.

Wow it must be RBTA splitting season or something. One of mine just split yesterday as well.

Make sure you keep your calcium up. I lost 3 splits 2 months ago due to very low calcium levels. No they don't need calcium in the traditional coral skeletal sense, but they do appear to need it to ambulate and heal.

Linda Lee;102204 wrote: I think the rule of thumb is, if you're not feeding your anemone, it needs more light to make its own food. I could be wrong.

That is my understanding as well, they need more light if they aren't being fed. I started supplementing food more frequently because of my lower light conditions. I am trying to watch for the light sales - had a close friend lose a parent to cancer recently and it has kept me form the forum. Hopefully I can watch a little more closely now. Definitely what I thought too Linda.

FutureInterest;102236 wrote: Wow it must be RBTA splitting season or something. One of mine just split yesterday as well.

Make sure you keep your calcium up. I lost 3 splits 2 months ago due to very low calcium levels. No they don't need calcium in the traditional coral skeletal sense, but they do appear to need it to ambulate and heal.

LOL Yep I agree. I read that Calcium is critical with corals and anemones. I watch mine carefully.

Back