My Tunze 6101 seized up!

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
I have had two of these in operation just a few weeks. Imagine my horror earlier tonight when I notice that the left side on stopped flowing completely. I got the owner's manual out and they talked about different reasons for failure. I took the pump apart and the magnet of the impeller was completely limed up. Off tothe grocery for a gallon of vinegar. De-calcified the magnet and the female part of the pump, and it works again!! Whew!!!

I'm doing theother one as well.

I guess every few weeks a part of the maintenance regimen will be soak the 6101s in some vinegar.

I'm glad this $300+ dollar pump didn't die on me!
Dave

That sucks. That's also odd as my old tunze 6060s would run for 5 months or so before needing to be soaked. My vortechs need servicing every 3 months or so. 2 weeks on a new pump just doesn't sound right.

FutureInterest;172460 wrote: That sucks. That's also odd as my old tunze 6060s would run for 5 months or so before needing to be soaked. My vortechs need servicing every 3 months or so. 2 weeks on a new pump just doesn't sound right.

It was about 5 weeks, actually, still not real long. I've been dealing with CA and alkalinity issues, so I may have had some accelerated depositon of the lime on the magnet. Tank is pretty new (6 weeks) with about 60 different LE acro frags in it.

I have a Ca+ reactor with a second media chamber, and a Kalk stirrer. I think I may stop the Kalk additions and just go with R/O topoff for a while and see what happens to my alkaklinity levels. Alkalinity is 14 right now. I have been dosing Turbo Calcium and the Ca level is about 450 right now.

A calcium reactor doses CA and carbonate in a 1:1 ratio, so it is not the cause of my high alkalinity levels. I suspect the kalkwasser, so we'll see. I am not adding buffer at all.
Dave

Go on Reefcentral and check out the Tunze forum. There is a thread that properly tells you how to clean the pumps.

glxtrix;172546 wrote: Go on Reefcentral and check out the Tunze forum. There is a thread that properly tells you how to clean the pumps.

yeah, Roger is great! He'll help you out, and he'll let you know what & what not to do. He's also quick about getting you replacement parts if you need.

YA AND IF YOU EVER DO HAVE ONE BURN UP YOU CAN SEND IT to Roger AND IT MOST LIKELY WILL BE UNDER $100 to fix and he'll give you at least another year after he fixs them. I've had to do it probably 5 times in 10 years and always satisfied with the prompt resonse and ceap repairs.

It should run for at least 3 months without having to be cleaned. If you are having issues like you say that could definitly cause it. Until you are stable I would check every couple weeks just so it doesn't seize up.

Back