My Xenia seem distressed

geno

Market
Reaction score
I have a xenia (waving hands, I think) it has 3 nice size stalks that were well defined and flowing when I bought it.

I think I put it to close to another coral and 2 of the heads have retracted and have been that way for a few days now. I have since moved it to another location -- but after a few more days -- only one head has emerged (somewhat).

This is a bit embarassing since xenia are considered (so I've read) one of the easier pieces to keep. Should I not worry and just be patient?

Thanks,

i had the pulsating xenia just like you are talkign about.....one of my frags dissolved and died........one of them looked so bad all of the heads were shrunken up it looked like a pile of nothing so i left it alone and let it chill for a whiel and one morning out of no where it was out and waving like i had never seen it before....almost like it was growing when it looked like crap. Also i have heard since they are filter feeders they dont do so well when your water is prestine....like the do a little better in dirty water

Xenia is a great *pH measuring stick* and it's one reason I keep it in the display. When pH is not right, Xenia is unhappy. Make sure your pH level is in the safe zone.

Linda is right check PH, also they like "dirty" water. I put my skimmer on my RKII so the skimmer is only on 14 hours a day. The xenia are doing great and I have to harvest them on a regular basis.

I have a PH probe with my ACJr -- I calibrated it when I first got it -- it reads 8.2 most of the time but drops to 7.99 or so at night.

I do run my skimmer 24/7 -- which I intend to continue -- if xenia need water different from what I have -- I'll do without xenia -- simple

geno;207763 wrote: I have a PH probe with my ACJr -- I calibrated it when I first got it -- it reads 8.2 most of the time but drops to 7.99 or so at night.

Do you have a refugium? If so, run the light on your fuge opposite the lights on your display (i.e., fuge light stays on overnight while your display is dark). This helps to balance the pH swings.

Back