mysterious fish death

qasimja

Market
Reaction score
i added a juvenile yellow tang last week when i ordered come corals maybe 2" big or so he was doing fine til this morning i found him against a rock with a powerhead blasting him he was dead what do you think could have caused this? ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5 all perimeters check out perfect all my other fish seem to be unfazed

the only thing i can think of is when i feed the rest of my fish like to eat and he would just eat a few pieces here or there could he have starved in a week? possibly bad stock?

oh i have 2 squareback anthias and 2 maroon clownfish none of the other fish bothered him at all

Without seeing the fish, my guess would be starvation. It's not uncommon for new fish to be very picky eaters, and if he wasn't fat to begin with, he could have starved in a week.

Any symptoms on the body? Parasites, wounds, lesions?

Could be disease more likely than starvation. Did you quarantine it first? How long did the store have it before you bought it and was it quarantined there too?

Jenn

no there wasnt any wounds or lesions i got it from an online marketer and no i didnt QT the fish

my opinion is that fish are messed up from the start or not. if the yellow tang died within 72 hours chances are it wasnt ur parameters.

especially a tang. they need weeks of abuse before they die. and you need major parameters out of whack.

now if someone was beating on him a bit. we have a different story here

Russ-IV;1040004 wrote: my opinion is that fish are messed up from the start or not. if the yellow tang died within 72 hours chances are it wasnt ur parameters.

especially a tang. they need weeks of abuse before they die. and you need major parameters out of whack.

now if someone was beating on him a bit. we have a different story here

yea im just going to chalk it up to being in poor health plus not eating i asked the website for a medium sized tang because i never have good luck with smaller sized fish in my past tanks and they sent me a very small tang i guess i will buy another in a local shop in the next few weeks

same happened to me day before. My yellow tang who was there for months died. all the other fish are fine. Mine was a larger size one.

Back