Mysterious white shadow...haze..

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I've got this mysterious white ? on all my live rock that doesn't get light. It moves in the flow and dissapers if I move the rock out into light with good flow. I had this in the past in another tank and found many reefers asking about it but never an answer.
Anyone know what causes this?

First pic shows it on the top rock, a little first then fully covered (shadow) going down from there.

Next- my photobucket pucked again sorry

Looking closely at the pictures it's in the hole on the left side, then right side, then center, then right and left side again.

a7882847370acba2dff29f9cf046565a_zps8fe4a759.jpg
alt="" />[/QUOTE]

+1, i'm guessing it's a sponge just starting to take shape.
not a bad thing if it is.

I promise it's not a spong guys.

I'm talking about the top Rock shadow. If I put the rock in the light on the sand bed it dissaperes in about 30 minutes. It moves with the flow and very very fine.

I've got a better example but dang photo bucket...

Ok here it's in the lower curve of the rock, feathery in places
e0b36fb8a852447c0c99489f751fd6db_zpsdafe08e8.jpg
alt="" />
iOS 8 sucks, don't load it!

That's exactly what it looks like is slime and acts like it. It's only on rock with low flow!

Ringo no I'm not, I quit about 6 months ago?

It looks a little bit like the start of turf algae. I had this in my tank earlier in the year... started out as a white fuzz on the rocks and eventually turned brown and grew longer. Given that this is sprouting up in your lower flow areas, it would not surprise me if this was an algae of some kind.

If it's slimy to the touch it's probably a bacterial colony.

If it's fuzzy to the touch it's probably some algae.

Be brave... touch it :)

Jenn

It's so slight it has no feeling at all.

I had this in my last tank for as long as I can remember. I noticed it in this tank a few months ago. It can only be seen on back of rock, it's very small!

Ya all, look at the back of your rocks that don't get light tonight, I bet others will have this too. It can't be just me and I'm not worried just wondering what, why, how...

I've found many others asking about it on the web but no real answers. Very strange!

Edit

Ok Jenn, if anything I'd say slimy not at all fuzzy.

Back