Mystery , missing Fish

reefstinger

Market
Reaction score
So I have had my l magnificent Foxface for 2 months now, been looking great , just all of a sudden its missing?? cannot find it anywhere in my 160?? not even in the overflow?? Its 5 inches long?? if its dead, I cannot find it. :sad:

Is it possible he wedged himself into a rock and sadly passed away? I had one do that a long time ago and I had to search through all the rockwork to finally find him. I'm sorry if in fact he passed away. :(

How long have you been missing him?

Brett is correct that when they are dying they will wedge themselves in what seems impossible spots. But he could also be doing the same to hide. Fish will squeeze into areas you would not believe possible. If it's been less then a day might be just hiding very well, but unfortunately in this situations it more likely that he wedged somewhere because he was on the way out.

Jakub

Bcavalli;1075451 wrote: Is it possible he wedged himself into a rock and sadly passed away? I had one do that a long time ago and I had to search through all the rockwork to finally find him. I'm sorry if in fact he passed away. :(

being a venomous fish , I wonder if that dead fish will kill my others if cannot find him n get him out?

aXio;1075458 wrote: How long have you been missing him?

Brett is correct that when they are dying they will wedge themselves in what seems impossible spots. But he could also be doing the same to hide. Fish will squeeze into areas you would not believe possible. If it's been less then a day might be just hiding very well, but unfortunately in this situations it more likely that he wedged somewhere because he was on the way out.

Jakub

3 days missing

aXio;1075458 wrote: How long have you been missing him?

Jakub

Thanks FTI , im trying to find him , before the 160 get contaminated

It's unfortunate and sometimes happens for no apparent reason. I wouldn't worry too much about him being venomous to the tankmates. It's more than likely you will see a rise in nitrates once he starts decomposing. It might be an easy way to test your nitrates and if you are seeing a rise you know it's probably because of his death. More than likely your cleanup crew will start feasting on him. But, if he's large I would try and get him out with a net. If you do find him becareful with touching his spines. Good luck. :)

I have lost 2 fish to a mystery black hole in my tank, both Anthias. I searched everywhere in my 120 and couldnt find them, i didnt remove rock from the bottom but everything else. I chalked it up to business as usual for the CUC after a week of not finding them.

Sorry for the loss :(

I hate it when that happens.

If he is wedged and decomposing, it shouldn't be a big issue in a 160 if it's stable. Bristleworms and such will chow down on the carcass.

Still stinks not to know what happened and have 'closure'. You may not find any remains.

Jenn

Back