Mystery on my Mystery Wrasse

dubkie

Market
Reaction score
Very odd… my Mystery Wrasse, which is one of my all time favorite fish, went missing on Thanksgiving day. I was bummed and figured he had died. I wasn't going to pull apart 200+ pounds of live rock to verify that he had died, so I choked it up as loss. Right around Christmas time, I started to toss around the idea of buying another one, but never pulled the trigger. Fast forward to yesterday… as I was putting seaweed on the clip for my tangs yesterday morning, guess who I saw swimming around?… yep, the missing Mystery Wrasse. He was fat and was swimming around like he never missed a meal in the month he had gone missing.

So I guess my question is this… Is this common for this species and has anyone else had this happen to them with the same or similar fish?

Not uncommon for wrasses to go missing for awhile. But since thanksgiving, that's a long time.

Maybe that is why it's a Mystery Wrasse. The mystery is where did he go and what was he doing? LOL. Sure glad he is safe and happy.

that sounds weird that you could go without seeing the fish for a month. When he first went missing did you tediously look through every nook and cranny of the tank?

i'm still waiting for a purple firefish to reappear that has been missing for 6 weeks... LOL

Silver Surfer;825073 wrote: Not uncommon for wrasses to go missing for awhile. But since thanksgiving, that's a long time.

No Joke! lol

rdnelson99;825075 wrote: Maybe that is why it's a Mystery Wrasse. The mystery is where did he go and what was he doing? LOL. Sure glad he is safe and happy.

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing.

Kirkwood;825082 wrote: that sounds weird that you could go without seeing the fish for a month. When he first went missing did you tediously look through every nook and cranny of the tank?

i'm still waiting for a purple firefish to reappear that has been missing for 6 weeks... LOL

Yep... looked everywhere! Hope your firefish makes it coming out debut! lol

He was helping the elves...:shades:

My wrasses had disappeared for a week or so once in awhile but a whole month!?!? WOW

Has the Mystery stayed out in the open after going missing for so long?

This happen to me once with a yellow coris wrasse. He was gone for two months and just showed back up one day as fat and happy as ever. So, there's still hope for reefers out there with missing fish.

My mystery wrasse does that all the time. Not for that long but I did have a Swalesi Basslet that I put in my tank September two years ago and I assumed he was dead. The following spring when the days started to get longer and my tank had ambient light without the LEDs on, there he was swimming around between my big Squamosa clams. Some species are just very cryptic and having had 3 mystery wrasses over the years the first two were extroverts for sure (probably because I had 3 other wrasses with it), and the one I have now is a big wimp and the only wrasse in the tank.

Back