Nano/bio-cubes. Edumacate me.

george

Market
Reaction score
Nanocubes. Biocubes. Aquapods.

Anyone who has these kind of self-contained systems, I have some questions:

Are the filtration systems inside the cubes complete? i.e. do they have protein skimmers (not surface skimmers)? Are the lighting systems intense enough to use the hoods but keep LPS? SPS? Clams (maxima/crocea)? At that size tank, I know there are plenty of lighting alternatives to MH that can do clams and SPS, but do these tanks come with such lighting? How hard is maintenance for clearing out the pump systems, etc?

Thanks. I've never had any of these, but I'm looking to micro-size my system for a while so I can devote my attentions to a dog. :D

I have a 24g Aquapod. I opted for the 150 HQI Sunpod, so mine is open top. It came with a glass top but I cut a piece of eggcrate to go on top instead. I have a big crocea clam and he is happy. I have some SPS and LPS in there as well and everything is growing well.

For filtration, it comes with bioballs and a bag of ceramic tubes. I dumped those. It also comes with two big sponges for mechanical filtration, but I don't use those either unless I've done a big water change or mistakenly overfead and I need to filter out the junk.

It does not come with a skimmer. I have a Red Sea Prysm on the back.

The new Nanocube has a closed hood with 150w HQI, skimmer and a wave controller. I might have bought that if it had been out earlier.

The new Current Solana (same maker as the Aquapod) has a skimmer but is open top...they sell some discoball pendant to go with it.

Keep in mind that smaller does not mean less maintenance. While it's less water to prepare, I have to change water every 7-10 days. If I go 14 days, my xenia starts to look a little sad.

I have a couple of the 12 gallon versions, even packed with PC's I would not try SPS in it, they will brown up and it'll be hard to control calcium/alk in such a small tank

JBJ has a new 28g that comes with intense lighting and a skimmer I believe.

Check this out - I think this is the most bang for your buck
product_info.php

Back