Nano Fish - Help me pick

jcusmarine

Supporting
Reaction score
So, I have a mated pair of clown in my Nano and they are happy to be moved away from my purple tang and have their own territory. I want to add one small fish to the Nano and wanted to see what you guys think.

The tank is going to be primarily SPS, with some zoas, maybe a couple of rics and a couple of Clams. I do not have fine grade sand, so I was thinking that ruled out small sand sifting fish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!:up:

JC

Clown gobies are really nice for a nano... for a 28gal nano I would say a pearl headed jaw fish would be really nice, or maybe a bi-colored blenny would be nice as well. If you want a pop of color, then you need to go with an orchid dottyback.

A purple firefish will provide a nice contrast to the orange clownfish. Or howabout a midas blenny?

jcusmarine;261590 wrote: So, I have a mated pair of clown in my Nano and they are happy to be moved away from my purple tang and have their own territory. I want to add one small fish to the Nano and wanted to see what you guys think.

The tank is going to be primarily SPS, with some zoas, maybe a couple of rics and a couple of Clams. I do not have fine grade sand, so I was thinking that ruled out small sand sifting fish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!:up:

JC

Am I reading this correctly? You have 2 clowns and a purple tang in a 28G nanocube and you're moving the clowns to another tank? :eek:

I would go with a fire fish mine has settled in really well and they are a very visually pleasing fish. Just be aware of them jumping.

CGill311 - No, I moved them away from the purple tang into the Nano...the tang is in my 55 display.

Like Brandon, my vote would go to a pearly jawfish. They are very entertaining and subtly beautiful.

Thanks all!

Tough choice....

At least I have narrowed down to either a Firefish, Clown Goby or a Pearly Jawfish.

I am also thinking about a pair versus a single fish.....

Don't do 2 firefish unless they are an established pair. I bought 2 thinking that they were from the same tank at the LFS so it must be ok. Now one makes the other stay in the corner. :(

yea seems more of an issue with the purples, I was going to grab two from keenreef until Tim explained that the purples seem to fight a lot. More than the regular fire fish.

Scissortail gobies can be kept in small groups without fighting too much. They are neat fish also.

dont pearly jawfish need a deep sand bed? i know they burrow in the wild.
i heard that clown gobies might nip at sps. double check that though.
i have a clown and a royal gramma in my tank. the royal gramma is fun to watch darting around

Back