Nano Newbie Question

Salty1

Reaction score
I am accustomed to the relatively stable water chemistry in larger tanks, having previously had a 50 and 75 with good results.
After being several years away from reefing, I am now about to crank up a small 20g nano tank, and wonder what additional cautions I should be aware of, in terms of filtration and guarding against the bio cycle "crashing" if I fail to keep up with the water chemistry.
- I don't intend to be able to maintain more than 2-3 small fish along with an assortment of corals (and maybe an anenome) in such a small tank, in order to keep the ammonia load within reason.... any suggestions from those who already have successful nano tanks?
Thanks - Steve

My main advice is have an auto top off. It makes things so much easier than having to make sure your water level is running correct for salinity and other parameters. I’ve had three different nanos and an ato was the best thing I invested in.
Are you planning an all in one tank or running a sump/skimmer?

I do intend to build/buy an ATO unit.
I am planning to install the tank (a std 20H I pulled out of my shop) onto the base cabinet of a built-in wall unit in our den. It just about fits flush into the bookcase section - see attached pic -
Given the bookcase built-in constraints, I'll have to run the tank as an AIO, and I may put a small skimmer in the filter section ...
Thx!

Attachments

• 20H Tank.jpg
    20H Tank.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 10
Back