nano seahorse tank equip questions.

jade76

Market
Reaction score
so okay nano fans...Im thinking about setting up a small hex tank for seahorses.....and some select softies.. around 18 gallons..
Anyone have any advice or suggestions as to a (hang-on) flter and protein skimmer unit that kicks butt?? Im looking or thinking of an allin one unit, if such an item exists.

I looked for one for a while too, but could never find anything to my staisfaction. I am a bit of an elitist when it comes to equipment, so I finally just bought a system with a sump and an octopus skimmer.

Oh yeah, and I would dick around with a hang on filter. Grow some macros in the tank, and use live rock, and you'll be good.

I have heard not to use hang on filters with seahorses but to use a canister filter. I think this may be because of the micro-bubble issue with horses. I am currently building a custom stand for my horse tank. Good Luck!!!

camg;191185 wrote: I have also been told not to have sps or lps in the tank.
LPS- no, but SPS should be OK, provided you offer a lot of "other" hitching posts for the seahorses, too.

jmaneyapanda;191186 wrote: LPS- no, but SPS should be OK, provided you offer a lot of "other" hitching posts for the seahorses, too.

I think I smell what your stepping in.

camg;191184 wrote: I have heard not to use hang on filters with seahorses but to use a canister filter. I think this may be because of the micro-bubble issue with horses. I am currently building a custom stand for my horse tank. Good Luck!!!

Maybe I need to do al little more research, but how do micro bubbles affect horses?

jade76;191189 wrote: I think I smell what your stepping in.

You have NO IDEA what I step in regularly! Seriously, though, I dont know what you mean. You see, I'm what people call-"simple" or "special".

jade76;191191 wrote: Maybe I need to do al little more research, but how do micro bubbles affect horses?
Males can get the bubbles trapped in their pouches, and it can cause seriosu issues (gas bubble disease).

jmaneyapanda;191192 wrote: You have NO IDEA what I step in regularly! Seriously, though, I dont know what you mean. You see, I'm what people call-"simple" or "special".

Im picking up what your putting down:D

I dont think so....horses dont need much room at all. just more vertical space.

Back