Nano Skimmer review request

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
Has anybody used any Nano Skimmers that would recommend or disrecommend? Especially if it’ll fit in the back of a Nuvo 20.

I’ve used the IM Ghost previously and found it to be complete crap quality, certainly not worth $150-180 that it retailed for.

But there are a handful of models now for under $100, and Innovative Marine has upgraded their skimmer as well. Here are a few I was looking at:

•$95 IceCap K1-Nano Protein Skimmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079TJT13V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F5YgFbCQRVDGV

•$45 Biocube Protein Skimmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WT6QWP1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BNYgFb917AYGE

•$45 AQUATIC LIFE 115 Mini Internal Protein Skimmer/Filter, 30-Gallon, 10-5/8"H x 3.5"W x 3.5"D https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028BPRMA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_55YgFbN1JZ43K

I don't recommend the Aquatic Life, I bought one new and tried it repeatedly, couldn't keep the pump running. It would stop, couldn't get it to start back by rapping, knocking, bumping, etc. I could talke it out and disassemble/re- assemble to get it to run in a bucket but it would quit in a day or two at best in the tank. Tried to many times and finally gave up.

I have the IM 25 lagoon and tried the icecap. It works ok but is noisy. I ended up with the aquamaxx NF-1 it works great and is silent. It fits in a little tight but not to bad. If decide on the icecap I have a used one for cheap

I have the IM BioSkim on both my tanks and it does fine although I have nothing to compare it to. It was a good deal for $50.

When I had my IM Nuvo 40 AIO I had a Tunze 9001 on it. From what I could tell it was working really well. Pulled out some good skimmate. I think @00Dan still has it running on the tank.

BRS link

I also just saw they have a DC version of the skimmer.

Premium Aquatics link

I am indeed still running it. No complaints really, pulls skimmate reliably. I had to clean it for the first time after 6 months uptime (it had gotten a little loud).

Biggest thing to consider is it is sensitive to water level - simply placing it at the water line marked on the body may result in it running a tad wet. That's simple to adjust though with the exterior magnet.

In the Nuvo 40 I'm running it in the outside overflow chamber; it's too big for the others.

Just bought the DC innovative marine for my 25 lagoon that’s been running for about 4 months. I have a 30 long as well but that skimmer probably won’t fit into the Nuvo 20. So far for the first week I’m happy with the amount of stuff it’s getting. It’s not super hard to figure out the assembly/disassembly but their instructions suck. I think the price is high for it but most stuff in this hobby is just that way. I figured if it really sucked I could just try something else.

I run a tunze 9004 on my 30gal and it’s a work horse. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

I was just about to start a thread on this topic. I got the IM Ghost with the lagoon I purchased and heard nothing but negative things about it. I’m going to take note of which to get if it is indeed that bad.

I have ice cap nano in back chamber of 13.5 evo. Had to fit in middle chamber without magnet. Works fairly well and I don't find to be noisy or the wife as it is in the bedroom. I do find the collection cup a little difficult to get back on after emptying.

I went with that over fluval cause of reviews and not many to fit with small enough footprint.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thank you @york1. I plugged in the IceCap yesterday, and it’s running well.

My expectations (for all nano skimmers) is low, but the IceCap is at least matching my expectations. I’ll conduct a thorough review after I’ve used it a bit more and collected concrete data.

As for the noise; this tank is actually next to my air purifier, which makes a constant gentle noise (But maybe the loudest continual noise in the house), so it’s not an issue at the moment.

Oh, and it ‘kinda’ fits into the 2nd chamber of a Nuvo 20. Definitely functional and satisfactory!

My opinion on nano skimmers is that they require more maintenance to keep functional than full-size skimmers. There is obviously some benefit from aeration. However, I have never been able to tell a difference with or without on my nano tanks. My nano tanks have never been heavily stocked with fish though.

Back