Nano Tank Strage Invaders

steve358

Reaction score
My Nano tank has been doing so well, a few days ago I introduced a rock filled with Christmas Tree Worms. A few days later I have a large number of what may be considered very small pod (parasite looking creatures) about 1/4 size of a grain of rice. Multiple legs and antennae. I have no idea what they are?? And am a little concerned they are going to cause problems. Any one encountered this. Should I maybe introduce something that will eat them? It’s difficult to photograph them as they are very small. Just when things appears to be doing so well... Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Steve

do they look like this?

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/amphipod.html">http://www.melevsreef.com/id/amphipod.html</a>

If so they are very beneficial and reef safe.

It looks like I have those also, but they are a little bigger. I located a Pic that closely resembles what I have. I believe they are Isopods?. I guess there are many different varieties. It appears out of the thousands of variants only a few are destructive. So I guess maybe it’s time to introduce a fish. Any suggestions for a small 12 Nano.? They seem to just run around the glass, in and out of rocks etc. I just hope they reduce their numbers.

Steve
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
44935=2722-isopod.jpg
>
44935=2722-isopod.jpg
class="gc-images" title="isopod.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

They look like a bottom view of amphipods that are walking on the glass, but I could be wrong.

Borrow or buy a mandrian goby but make sure after all are gone that u trade the goby or buy some artic pods to keep feeding them as that is mainly there entire diet...or u could leave them most all fish will eat them if they can catch them, then again i am sure i will catch flak for telling u that but if u keep the mandrian make sure that u buy him some more copa pods (artic pods by brand)

if its whats in the pic its a typical isopod, they are completely reef safe and will not harm anything. Its a good sign of a maturing tank. You could add some fish like a manderin but they usually require a tank thats large enough to support their diet and a well populated refugium is always a plus for these guys. People have kept them and some will accept forzen or prepared foods, but you run the risk of not getting the proper nutrition for them. There are some other fish that will eat pods, like some wrasses, heck I've even seen my clown munch on them.

I cant give you anything on reccommending that one, I successfully kept a manderin in my 10g for well over a year and he was FAT! And I didnt have a fuge either. I did however have a pod cage in the tank and spot fed him daily and he did accept flake, frozen and prepared foods...I guess I lucked out. Unfortunately he met his fate by one of those stupid surface skimmers...poor guy. But if you do plan on going that route, please remember these fish do have a specific diet and you need to accomodate that, so be prepared to buy pods if he doesnt eat your frozen foods, I know many manderins that wont touch frozen foods. And just remember these fish are supose to look FAT, if you see a sucked in belly youre doing something wrong.

na didn't want anything for that one did expect to be beaten and thrown around a little though

get a sixline wrasse. they eats pods, frozen, flake, and pellet fooods. they don't get big and would work well in your tank size. they also look cool and have interesting personalities.

A nano is not the place to just go adding fish since you can only have a couple anyway. Bottom line is the pods sound like very typical and perfectly reef safe so the best bet is to just be glad they are there and go on. No reason to add something to eat them!

I've noticed my population of isopods has grown a lot. I know they are typical, but honestly there are so many that they are kind of distracting from the rest of the tank...like a roach infestation. I was thinking of a six line as well to keep them under some sort of control.

At least I know my tank is healthy.

Back