natural calc and alk params??

jaydm93teg

Market
Reaction score
I know i have posted about this a million times but it just worries me cause i know these are 2 of the main factors in coral care/growth.

My original test showed my calc at like 540 and my alk at like 140 right in there im not sure if that exact but its pretty darn close i would say that was about a month to a month and half ago.

I dont dose anything at all for either calc or alk.....the only thing i dose in my tank is reef plus: vitamin and amino acid supplement.

i have been measuring these 2 prob. once a week and my params today are calc 500 and alk right at 130......those have been pretty stable numbers for the past 2 to 3 weeks with the calc at 500 and the alk at 130.

Again i know you guys said just let it come down on its own and of course when it gets in the appropriate range, start dosing to keep it in that range.

so am i still ok with them a little high and still continue to wait for them to come down on there own? I just want to make sure all the coral and stuff will be ok....i mean everything in the tank is thriving now even my xenias kinda came back to life and grew a little and are begining to pulsate again. the fish are all great all is good and im not gonna chase numbers but more or less just wanted some advice and someone to tell me its ok and they have heard of just naturally high numbers for alk and calc.

all my other params are fine:

ph 8.0
trates and trites 0
ammonia 0

80 gallon tank with catalina fixture 8 T5's

been set up for about 4 months, corals are as follows

GSP: been doing great..... today and yesterday has been closed i think the hermits were irritating it plus it was a frag that wasnt glued down and i found it flipped over yesterday so its probably stressed but its mounted to a rock now.

Shrooms: 2 diff. ones both doing awsome fully extended all day long one orange one and one maroon one.

frogspawn: looks awsome starting to see little tiny new "heads" or stems coming off of the one main stem i have.

3 diff types of zoas all open up all day long

green staghorn: looks brownish during the day and green at night under my actinics....it hasnt lost any color at all since i got it....the top of it kinda has a white tip on it (i heard this means they are growing when the tip is white) placed near the top of the tank getting maximum lighting.

blue ridge coral: same as stag looksing brownish, placed at the top of the tank has a little white tip on it.

xenia: i thought they were dead they were pretty much gone a long time ago and the past 2 weeks they have come back to life and have grown and are pulsating again.

plate coral: starting to open up again after an angel nipped it all day long i got rid of the angel and this one is starting to grow and get big again

so i would guess all is well

o yeah and a green ric that had 2 mouths when i got it but now i think it has 3 mouths? so i guess its growing also

You should expect to have to dose alkalinity in any reef tank with growing coralline and hard corals, regardless of the salt mix used. Water changes are really not suitable to maintain it. I discuss that here:

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php"><span style="color: #000088;">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php</span></a>

and this may help:

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
[IMG]http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php"><span style="color: #000088;">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php</span></a>

<FONT class=sf>__________________
Randy Holmes-Farley

hey jay I had the same questions, and i got them all answerd today. first i had my water tested for everything
DKH- 12
Phosphate-1 (high)
Calcium-420ppm
Nitrate-.25
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
PH-8.0
The KEY is to find that balance if your doseing your tank with chem. and your not checking each one it will take longer to get to that balacne unless you have reactors,and then you have to watch. So get right to it I got today
(BrightWell Aquatics)
REEF CODE A which contains
*Calcium
*Magnesium
*Strontium
REEF CODE B which contains
*Alkalinity or Buffering Capacity
Dose both everyother day for a week then go get your water tested again to see the progress. Ill let you know how I come out. P.S. Remember iodine works well with soft corals i use Lugol's by Kent Marine

Back