Natural Sea Water in Atlanta

izoid

Market
Reaction score
I live in the Canton area and am hoping to find someone who sells natural sea water. I used to get Catalina brand when I lived in SOCAL but haven't found any here in Atlanta. Any ideas?

izoid;272762 wrote: I live in the Canton area and am hoping to find someone who sells natural sea water. I used to get Catalina brand when I lived in SOCAL but haven't found any here in Atlanta. Any ideas?

I suggest you make your own at 95% less cost & better product.

Several LFS's sell natural seawater. I know Avarium in Duluth does (in 4g containers). I agree with Ralph, though - there's no benefit, so why go through the extra expense and effort?

I guess it is different out here. I used to be able to buy it in bulk by the gallon for .99 per gallon. The stores has 1000 gallon tanks full of it. It is much easier than making my own and was always perfect. I would not buy it pre packaged like they sell at Petco.

What salt do you recommend if I am going to make it myself? So far all the LFS that I have contacted us IO which I am not all that fond of.

We are a little farther from the ocean here... :)

Most salt mixes are ok. I've used Kent and IO without any problems for years, but the SeaChem salts are ok as well. Most salts are about the same, with varying amounts of calcium and magnesium in them. If you have a large tank, then you'll need to supplement those chemicals either way, so it really doesn't matter, in my opinion.

mojo;272823 wrote: We are a little farther from the ocean here... :)

Most salt mixes are ok. I've used Kent and IO without any problems for years, but the SeaChem salts are ok as well. Most salts are about the same, with varying amounts of calcium and magnesium in them. If you have a large tank, then you'll need to supplement those chemicals either way, so it really doesn't matter, in my opinion.

exactly!

I really like SeaChem Reef & Tropic Marine Pro Reef, as both of these you have to dose less for a reef. Currently using Seachem. This makes my water, IMHO, more consistent, and It's cheaper to pay a little extra 4 salt & do less dosing.

Hey ....if the Georgia Aquarium uses Instant Ocean......millions of gallons of it.....Instant Ocean is alright for me..... :)

plus cool t-shirts and stuff at the bottom of the bucket, sort of like Cracker Jacks.

washowi;272873 wrote: Hey ....if the Georgia Aquarium uses Instant Ocean......millions of gallons of it.....Instant Ocean is alright for me..... :)

plus cool t-shirts and stuff at the bottom of the bucket, sort of like Cracker Jacks.

n728925014_4909338_1668.jpg
alt="" />

:D

I have six buckets of Reef Crystals sitting in the garage and nothing free in them!

FutureInterest;272929 wrote: Cap bay used tropic marin... but alas. All the other LFS use and carry IO.

I don't. :) I use Seachem Reef Salt only. I used to use Reef Crystals. I have found that Seachem makes a better salt in my opinion.

Thanks,
Tim

I used IO forever but now that I'm keeping alot of SPS I had a hard time keeping my calcium up. I now am using reef crystals because it has a higher calcium content. Still the same manufacturer though. If I was running a reactor then I would still be using IO.

washowi;272873 wrote: Hey ....if the Georgia Aquarium uses Instant Ocean......millions of gallons of it.....Instant Ocean is alright for me..... :)

but their sps' suck! and what's up with that? I know it takes time, but it has been a few years.

I tried IO and Red Sea at first. Switched to Oceanic. It dissolves really well and I don't have to supplement trace elements.

lights drive the sps growth....they have been messing with them for years..

water is great!
note the Fire coral is doing very well though :)

mysterybox;273023 wrote: but their sps' suck! and what's up with that? I know it takes time, but it has been a few years.

Most of them are placed 10-15 feet down in a 165KG encolsure... Gonna be slow going... :doh:

Touche sir...touche. Though in the 4 years of saltwater, I've only stumbled upon 1 of those shirts. Oh well....IO forever here.

washowi;273047 wrote: lights drive the sps growth....they have been messing with them for years..

water is great!
note the Fire coral is doing very well though :)

nice pic of you and those beluga's! that's cool!

Yeah, those shirts say still show Ralph and Norton!! :)

I did get one with the IO logo on it recently. I have 2 more big buckets to go thru, hope it not another Ralph and Norton shirt

Back