Nature Ocean

tnyga

Market
Reaction score
nature's ocean aragonite live sand,,,,good? bad?

a>

I use it because I like the fact you do not need to risne it. I don't agree with the "just add fish" part though.

good: helps your tank start the cycling process.
bad: your significant other can't see how one could spend $1 per pound on sand.

IMO, southdown (or any other aragonite based sand) + sand from an established tank = nature's ocean live sand.

instead of "nature's ocean", it becomes "the owner of the established tank's" live sand.

Kicker is Im going with black sand so to take white out of mine and add will really suck lol

You could just add a few pieces of live rock from an established tank to the black sand.

+1.

are you going to run an active sand bed? if so, as long as you have 4" - 6" of sand bed and not introduce a predator (like gobies, wrasses, and the like) for a few months, you should be able to establish an active sandbed just by seeding your tank with live rock.

if you want diversity, i'd suggest you contact as many reefkeepers as possible and get a scoop of sand from their refugium and add it into discrete corners (like under or behind rock) so that you don't have to see the ugly mix.

humptrax;142043 wrote: good: helps your tank start the cycling process.
bad: your significant other can't see how one could spend $1 per pound on sand.

IMO, southdown (or any other aragonite based sand) + sand from an established tank = nature's ocean live sand.

instead of "nature's ocean", it becomes "the owner of the established tank's" live sand.

Your right about the significant other...after a 100 lbs of LR, water and a small PH (bigs ones next week) that was around 360 then when we got to where the sand was that was another 170, her jaw dropped...:wow2:

I guess Im really going to have to be excited about going to Helen today or Im dead meat.. lol :doh:

tnyga;142414 wrote: I guess Im really going to have to be excited about going to Helen today ..

oooooooooo.... bring back some peanut brittle or some of Fred's famous fried peanuts!!!

Store is actually called "Fred's Famous Peanuts"

It's @ 17 Clayton Road in Helen

I've heard the boiled peanuts are to die for, but I just can't bring myself to eat those (shudder)

But the peanut brittle is terrific.

You can get the "Non live" aragonite sand much cheaper from them. Im going to buy 600 lbs pretty soon from them. It goes for around 44 cents a lb.

Back