Need a bit of help with my 30

zdaytonaroadster

Market
Reaction score
So back in May last year i started my saltwater tank experiance, and thanks to ARC help, thing have been great, i lost one or two corals, mostly due to being a noob...but all in all i've enjoyed it.

My 55 gallon is doing awesome, i'll post some pics later, my little 30 though, it not as hot. I cant seem to get rid of the hair alegae and red slime, chem treatments, scrubing, increased flow...nothing seems to stop it. I started my 30 about a month after my 55..but my 55 has progressed so much better. I've reduced feeding the fish, reduced the time the lights are on..everything. I think the problem may be filtration...and even if its not...my filtration sucks..so i need some help.

My 30 gallon is sump-less, (55 has sump, the 30 just doesnt have room) so i'm looking for a good hang-on skimmer. I've got a skilter now ( a skimmer-filter combo), but its just not doing the job. I've got a trickle filter too..but other than holding carbon and phos-ban, its mainly just for water flow. What type of hang on skimmer would u recommend. Also anything you can do to help me with my hair algea would be helpful..i'm on the verge of pulling all the live rock out and blasting it with a pressure washer.

tank has dual 24 wattt-5 lighting with a 60 watt PC also. One maxijet powerhead

Am-0, nitrate-trite-0, water change is RO/DI only. Current stock is two small clowns, 2 firefish, and a few small corals. Corals are doing fine... Really i need a good skimmer first, i can worry about the algea later

..another problem may be the lack of a clean up crew...i'm mostly likely headed up to marine fish tomorrow to fix that problem

Check your phosphates. When was the last time the RO/DI cartrages been changes.

phosphates are low, already checked that, i forget the exact measurements, but they've droped since i added phosban. RO/DI is fresh, 0 PPMs on meter

i also just stuck a big hunk of spag algea in there out of my sump from the other tank, hopefully that will help

i still need than new skimmer though

Have you tried cutting down your light cycle? I think with a clean up crew, reduced light cycle, and better skimmer your algea problem should start going away.

SparksFly;266786 wrote: Have you tried cutting down your light cycle? I think with a clean up crew, reduced light cycle, and better skimmer your algea problem should start going away.

light cycle yes, and i agree with you on the other two, hopefully i can get a clean up crew tomorrow. The skimmer is my main concern. I cant seem to find a good 30 gallon hang on skimmer online, thats why i'm here. I'm sure someone out there has a good nano-skimmer

How long are the lights on during the day? Is the tank getting direct sunlight? I heard Tunze Nano Skimmers are great. Think of getting the Tunze Nano Doc Skimmer 9002 for my 24AP. When you say you reduced the feedings how often are you feeding and how much? How often are you doing water changes and much do you cahnge the water?

twinytwin;266796 wrote: How long are the lights on during the day? Is the tank getting direct sunlight? I heard Tunze Nano Skimmers are great. Think of getting the Tunze Nano Doc Skimmer 9002 for my 24AP. When you say you reduced the feedings how often are you feeding and how much? How often are you doing water changes and much do you cahnge the water?

Lights are now on for about 9 hours a day, down from 12. Feeding one every three days, just a pinch of pellets and some coral food. change about 6 gallons every week. Got a link for that skimmer?

Back