Need a plumbing fix

brianjfinn

Market
Reaction score
I've finally determined to finish my 10 gallon all-in-one (which I started last January :doh:) and need help getting the return pump set up. I'll use this as a small QT while I stock my 67 gallon, and eventually turn it into some sort of species tank, most likely gobies.

Anyway, I need help setting up the return pump to go from the filtration side, up and over the partition, and into the display side. My question is, what's the best pump to use for this, i.e. what has low flow and is easy to connect to plumbing/tubing. Also, what's the best/easiest way to connect the pump to the tubing? Is it possible to glue pvc directly to the pump, or do I need to first connect with rubber tubing, then to pvc? I need the tubing to be able to keep shape and stay in place without the use of any clamps, unless you guys know of clamps that will connect to 1/4" acrylic and not rust. That's kind of the thought behind using pvc as I can use two 90 degree elbows to go over the partition into the display side.

I've been told that Maxi Jets don't use standard sized returns, and therefore cannot be connected to pvc pipe, although I've never tried this myself. Anyone that has experience with this, if you could help out, I'd really appreciate it!

LilRobb;605147 wrote: 3/8" John Guest fittings go right on a maxijet outlet...

So plug that into the maxijet and connect that to pvc? I did a quick google search for John Guest fittings and came up with a number of different kinds. Any one in particular?

1/2" ID hose fits right over a maxijet outlet. Ive dont it many times for reactors and return pumps on small tanks. Just shove it on and go. Its not enough pressure to pop off.

EnderG60;605157 wrote: 1/2" ID hose fits right over a maxijet outlet. Ive dont it many times for reactors and return pumps on small tanks. Just shove it on and go. Its not enough pressure to pop off.

What's an ID hose?

Brian, that is how I was running my clown tanks. If you are close enough to stop and look you are welcome to or you can give me a call and talk about it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Bud, I might take you up on that if you're around this weekend. I think I'm going to take a maxi jet into home depot this weekend and see if I can knock this out.

Brian, Bud has one of the most o/s frag and breeder set ups that I have ever seen. Treat yourself to a visit.

brianjfinn;605190 wrote: Thanks for the replies everyone.

Bud, I might take you up on that if you're around this weekend. I think I'm going to take a maxi jet into home depot this weekend and see if I can knock this out.

Bud..would you be intersted in free maroon (gold stripe) clown eggs? It looks like my pair is ready to consumate the marriage.

Back