Need a return Pump Suggestion

lukestimp

Market
Reaction score
Chrisjet told me to post this up, wasn't sure what section to post in but figured this was a good place.

I need suggestions on what return pump to use on the 40G w/ a 29G sump.

Chris has suggested a Mag 3 and it sounds like a good choice to me, but wanted to hear what everyone else is thinking.

Mag 3 or Mag 5 would work fine for your situation.

you could go with a MAG5 and split it into two so you have a return going into your tank and then split it to two returns.

I thought about this as well, but I'm flirting with the idea of a closed loop system also. So with a smaller return I can give the sump time to do what it does. Right?

LukeStimp;130368 wrote: I thought about this as well, but I'm flirting with the idea of a closed loop system also. So with a smaller return I can give the sump time to do what it does. Right?

Yah go with the mag 3, it should work just fine.

As for a closed loop... they are so 1995 :).

J/k. I've seen some nice ones that use black pvc and are designed to be very unobtrusive. On the other hand I've seen some really ugly looking closed loops as well, most of these being overtheback systems. Since your tank is empty and you clearly know the master driller of ARC, Chrisjet, get that thing drilled up and install that CL!

or go with the MAG3 for less power consumption and heat and run the fuge in the center chamber of the sump. Just more thoughts to confuse you :)

Mag3 is cheaper up front and in the long run. That is my vote.

Barbara- I'm not going to Tee off the Return Instead I'm just going to Use 2 Overflows, 1 into the fuge and the other into the 1st Chamber both running into the Return Chamber.

Well You guys have made this decision easy as well. Mag 3 it is. Going to place the order now, unless anyone knows someone with an extra one...

I haven't decided on that exactly yet, I've thought about Making 2 Seperate Overflows. I just don't want to lose a ton of space inside the tank. I'll have to wait until I get the tank to decide what I'm going to do exactly, and then I'm sure I'll change my mind 3 or 4 more times.

Back