Need a sand sifter recommendation

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I'd like to get some type of sand sifting fish for my tank, but I dont want one that will move huge amounts of sand and create a mess. I have reef sand, so it is a little larger grain than your average sand.

Is there such a fish?

How about a sifting cucumber. I have a 8" Tiger Cuc in my 160 and 2 4" cucs in my mangrove fuge. Amazing sand cleaners!

How big is your total system Mark? Can Derek's 200 gallon system support it? And could my 280 gal system support it?

Like I said D, Goldenheads are awesome, they actuall swim quite a bit more then the Dragon and Diamond Goby.

really? My dragon goby is constantly swimming

Steve;269919 wrote: How big is your total system Mark? Can Derek's 200 gallon system support it? And could my 280 gal system support it?

Like I said D, Goldenheads are awesome, they actuall swim quite a bit more then the Dragon and Diamond Goby.

Total voume on the system is around 240GAL.

get a scooter blenny- mine is always scooting on the sand and turning it over. He doesn't sift too much, but he never makes a mess either. Sal had some really cool red ones in- plus, they're cheap :)

I tried a star. They are just too slow for my taste. I have considered the tiger cucumber, but didnt know if they were really any account.

Derek_S;269950 wrote: I tried a star. They are just too slow for my taste. I have considered the tiger cucumber, but didnt know if they were really any account.

My Tiger eats and poops out lots of sand each day. Don't know if that is considered "clean" sand or not...but it sure churns sand up!

my dragon i had, which is for sale btw, made mounds and would swim around. pretty neat guy.

Carty, they swim "more". They hover all over the tank. Dragon goby's tend to stay closer to the bottom.

I won't ever have one though... make too much of a mess, I'd get a bunch of Nassarius snails or a couple SS stars.

Derek, did you ever get a sand sifter? I was following this thread earlier since I had the same question. I finally decided on a Diamond Goby and it is doing a great job. He makes caves under the rocks, but spends the day sifting sand. The left side of the tank looks really good, now I just need to get him over to the other side.

Be careful when you put your goby in. My sand looks great,spotless, but the goby moves so much it caused the nitrates to climb.

i have (2) twin spot signal gobies... they are small and dont move an abundant amount of sand. also have a dragon gobie that gulps the sand and makes mounds. i like my signals, they are always together. :)

I'll keep an eye on that, thanks!

kelleyga36;296472 wrote: Be careful when you put your goby in. My sand looks great,spotless, but the goby moves so much it caused the nitrates to climb.

I'm jealous! I would really love to have two of those and a Rainsford Goby instead of the Diamond Goby but I needed something to start cleaning a lot of sand now.

CHuntsman;296473 wrote: i have (2) twin spot signal gobies... they are small and dont move an abundant amount of sand. also have a dragon gobie that gulps the sand and makes mounds. i like my signals, they are always together. :)

sand sifting star fish here, 2 in each tank, along with olive snails... seems to work great on my 65 and 30

Back