Need advice how to clean this live rock with bad algae on it

Ange_de_l'ocean

Reaction score
Hello! I am a new aquarium owner (about 4 weeks now) and noticed that all of the sudden this orange algae is taking over all of my liverocks. A little in the sand too. I stopped using so much light since its only a damselfish in my tank so far (putting coral in soon) but how do I clean my live rock to get rid of this orange algae?? I do not want to kill the live rocks. Thanks

Sounds like the new tank ugly, diatoms. If it is diatoms they will go away. They eat up excess silicate. Got a pic of the tank?

It's part of the cycle a new tank goes through, we've all gone through it. The best thing you can do for it is not disturb it, it will go away once the bacteria starts multiplying.

I agree with above, looks like diatoms, aka, the ugly stage. I should pass in time. Your tank bacteria will need to become balanced for it to go away. It happens to all of us. :)

Some clean-up crew will help but as the others have said, its just a consequence of using dry rock. Leave it alone and it will burn itself out.

Thank you all so much! This has helped a lot. I was starting to get very worried
Great advice from everyone here as usual! I agree that diatoms will go away over time as your sponges start to grow.

One small caveot though is that it will go away as long as the water going into the tank isn't introducing more silicates. The incoming water needs to be ro/di. Most ro membranes don't get the silicates out and you need the di resin to filter it out.

Also, Welcome!

Back