Need advice on a new goby

cgill311

Market
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a new fish for my 30G tank. I'm deciding between:

1) Yashia goby & pistol shrimp pair
2) Hector's goby
3) Court Jester goby

Live aquaria says 2 and 3 will eat filamentous algae which is good. It says 2 will also sift sand, which is a plus. But then again, a yasha & pistol just look so freakin' cool. Anybody have any advice/experience/suggestions?

Does anyone see a problem with any of those being housed with a pair of maroon clowns, scribbled rabbitfish, neon goby, and peppermint shrimp?

2 and 3 are basically the same fish with different color patterns. I have number 2 and its true that he sifts sand. Not nearly as effectively as other large mouthed sand sifting gobies, but they're not as messy either.

I haven't seen them eat HA, but I don't really have any HA... My understanding is that they don't really eat HA but rather pick at HA to get at the pods on it. That leads us to the fact that these are pod eaters like all sand sifting gobies... except that its difficult to get 2 and 3 to eat frozen or prepared foods.

I've had my hector's for months now and seen him pick at cyclopeeze maybe once...

You should go with number 1. You've been talking about getting them forever :). Just do it!

wbholwell;66903 wrote: I agree- I love a pistol shrimp / goby pair. I miss mine :-(

I've always wanted one! I have a 12 g nano, and only a maroon clown and a cleaner shrimp. I haven't wanted to overdo it. That Yasha goby looks amazing!

If you're looking for a fish that will reliably eat algae for a smaller tank, lawnmower blennies are the only ones I've seen in any tank that always graze the algae.

Back