Need advice on a purple reef lobster.

23cnhit

Market
Reaction score
Thought this guy was cute so I picked him up along with a porcelain crab. They have been in the tank since Tuesday. Yesterday I noticed the head of my porcelain crab floating at the top of the tank. I have nothing else that could have killed him. Anyone have any issues with these little guys?

Reef lobster can be a terror, will eat anything meaty it can catch. I would not consider it reef safe.

I would probably remove it, anything that swims into/near its cave or burrow it will take a shot at.

dball711;1094651 wrote: Reef lobster can be a terror, will eat anything meaty it can catch. I would not consider it reef safe.

That's an understatement.

If the crab shell was floating it was either a molt and the crab is hiding while its new shell hardens, but if there was 'meat' in the floating shell, it's the leftovers that go away from the lobster.

That joker will pinch your fingers too, if you aren't careful while you're working in the tank near its hidey hole.

They're fun for a species tank (ie you build a system around the lobster) but definitely not safe in a community tank and it will eat fish and inverts if it can catch them.

I respectfully suggest a bit of research on creatures before buying - they aren't all compatible and Murphy's Law of Reefkeeping usually dictates that the $10 creature will beat/eat the $50 creature every time.

Jenn ;)

JennM;1094866 wrote: That's an understatement.

Murphy's Law of Reefkeeping usually dictates that the $10 creature will beat/eat the $50 creature every time.

Jenn ;)

Cute yet SO true!

Back