Need Advice On Building Sump / Refugium

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones help with my $500.00 project. I have decided to go with the general concensis and start with the skimmer/sump/fuge and see whats left over.

So here is my basic plan...and where I need advice.

The shape of my 75 bowfront stand does not allow my to put a 20g tank underneath with out knocking out the center vertical post. I have read how to support the tank and do this...but a little too risky for me. So...in true DIY style I am going through the wall behind the tank into the adjacent closet. Plenty of room for a 20. In fact i am pursueing a 30ga with one of those iron stands. I could put the 30 on the bottom shelf, which will allow the MT to drain into the sump.

Questions...
<ol>
<li>How far below the MT must the sump be? I mean, what if the drain on my MT is 4\' high and the top of my sump is only a few inches shy of that. Does it matter?</li>
<li>I was origianally going to do a sump/fuge combo on the 30. But I had an idea of having the 30 sump on the lower shelf of this stand and doing a separate refugium in a 10 gallon on the top shelf. What are the pro\'s and cons of a set up like this? Am I better off with the combo? I also have no idea how to plum that. Would I just route my PVC with ball valves to regulate a little water to the fuge and send the rest to the sump? Or should I get another little pump.</li>
<li>My return line is now going to be PVC and will be a bit longer and have an elbow or two. Wont I lose some return power that way? Just get a bigger pump right? How do I know how big a pump to get?</li>
<li>SHOW ME YOUR SUMP / REFUGIUM !</li>
</ol>Any expert guidance woul be most appreciated.

Chris

Here is my ONE cent. This is what I have learned in my short time here:

BASSCYN;156691 wrote:
<ol>
<li>How far below the MT must the sump be? I mean, what if the drain on my MT is 4' high and the top of my sump is only a few inches shy of that. Does it matter? - Doesn't matter too much. Water flows down, no matter what. I think it would be fine. You wont get as much pressure, but I think close enough to the same amount will flow.</li>
<li>I was origianally going to do a sump/fuge combo on the 30. But I had an idea of having the 30 sump on the lower shelf of this stand and doing a separate refugium in a 10 gallon on the top shelf. What are the pro's and cons of a set up like this? Am I better off with the combo? I also have no idea how to plum that. Would I just route my PVC with ball valves to regulate a little water to the fuge and send the rest to the sump? Or should I get another little pump. - This sounds risky if I understand what you are saying. I'm thinking you mean to drain water to a sump, pump it up to a fuge, then pump it out into the MT? I think you'd be better just getting the bigger sump with integrated fuge to minimize places for the setup to fail/overflow. However, the advantage would of course be more water volume, more space, and a neato setup. </li>
<li>My return line is now going to be PVC and will be a bit longer and have an elbow or two. Wont I lose some return power that way? Just get a bigger pump right? How do I know how big a pump to get? -You will lose gph to friction for every bit you turn. flexible vinyl line helps with this. To figure out a pump size, you'll need to know how much you want moving through the tank and howfar 'up' you are pumping it. I.E. I have a 92 that has a 1" return line. I estimate it should be able to flow ~600 gph to the sump. Since I am pumping up 4 feet to the top of the tank, and through about 180* of turns, I figure to match the 600 gph return I will use a 950 gph pump. It may be a little too much, but after pumping up and through some turns, I may be close, and I can always put a relief/bleed valve on it to reduce gph.
</li>
</ol>

You can have as many different combo (sump, refugium) as you like. However ultimately what matters MOST is when there is a power outage either by you turning off the return pump or electrical outage from storm, it is the lowest sump that will have all the water draining into.

There is a post by jade76 that wanted to see all the sump just a couple of weeks ago. Bryan has a set up like yours, maybe you can copy his?

showthread.php

Check out melevsreef.com
Some great ideas for sumps and fuges on bowfronts and reg tanks. Even an over and under fuge/sump for tight spaces.

Seriously chris, you need to come have a chat, I just built a sump in a closet next to my tank not too long ago. ;)

1) It does not matter how far down the sump is from the tank.

2) As long as your fuge about the tank is drilled correctly, there is no reason why you can not flow from the MT into the fuge, over flow into the sump, and have the return pump in the sump. Gravity does the work for you! But you do not want a pump doing that for you.

3) for you tank and head loss, I would look at a Mag 7 for your return pump but nothing more then 700 GPH

Brandon,
Yes...I must take you up on your offer. I will contact you by PM. I live in Lawrenceville...and work in Buford. I could probably pay you a visit after work one night this week. Most likely nights for me...Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thanks again.

Can I bring my kid (13)?

purpleGORILLA;156701 wrote: You can have as many different combo (sump, refugium) as you like. However ultimately what matters MOST is when there is a power outage either by you turning off the return pump or electrical outage from storm, it is the lowest sump that will have all the water draining into.

There is a post by jade76 that wanted to see all the sump just a couple of weeks ago. Bryan has a set up like yours, maybe you can copy his?

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13330">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13330</a>[/QUOTE]

Your right man!! That dude Bryan has the same stand as me. I have sent him a post to get some details on that deal.

Thanks!!!

BASSCYN;156803 wrote: Your right man!! That dude Bryan has the same stand as me. I have sent him a post to get some details on that deal.

Thanks!!!

Yeah he lives in Lawrenceville too. So I am sure he doesnt' mind to let you stop by to take a look at his set up. If you look, he has the octopus skimmer too. So you know it would fit and octopus skimmers are excellent skimmer.

I think he is still in Taiwan though. Don't know when he will be back. Haven't seen him post either. I hope he didn't get sick from eating the food I told him to eat while he is over there. :sick:

Back