Need advice on Frag Tank

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
I was finally able to get my frag tank up and running and I could use some advice as to what fish / cleanup crew I should focus on? I would like a crew that can keep up with a little heavier feeding schedule.

Ive already added a few assorted crabs / snails and a pair of Platinum's with plans to get a Yellow Coris Wrasse. The frag tank is 48 x 18 with a water depth of 7". I have my frag tank tied into my entire system with a displaced water volume of about 175 gallons. Sorry about bad iPad photos. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3d0ffbd5e23612bce532f052f394c650.jpg
alt="" /></a>

3198e24b5a111814b3d479fbdbc7c08e.jpg
alt="" /></a>

e95e73a6b642f57880f8828d706b0e11.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Bcavalli;967331 wrote: Would he get along with the yellow coris?

They hardly get along with themselves. They get meaner with age.

Coris wrasses need sand so unless your planning on having sand in a frag tank, which most don't, pass on the wrasse. Why fish in a frag tank?

I have a Yellow Coris Wrasse in my 120 and he's awesome and never had a problem with him eating snails, I must be lucky. Ill definitely have to keep an eye on him.

I put a very light skiff of sand in since its used as a second DT as well and Im not really a big fan aesthetically of sand less tanks, even though I understand they are easier to maintain.

Under those circumstances I think a few select fish and moderate CUC would be ideal wouldn't it with a couple of peppermint shrimp? Any other wrasses that would be beneficial?

Ive made some bad decisions in the past with a few fish purchases and I don't want to repeat them again (a Bi-color Dottyback (lol first one in the tank, he been banned to the Refugium permanently). The wife wont let me get rid of him.

I also have a Red Coris Wrasse which I cant catch! He's net weary, trap weary and sleeps buried in sand against the bottom on the glass under the lowest rock in the DT. Ive tried, clear, box and pvc tube traps, nets, mirrors, pictures of his species and I even tried scooping him up while he sleeps (thats why he's sleeping under the deepest rock in a cave now. He's obviously been around the block a few times.

Im open to suggestions on how to catch him as well besides pumping out a bunch of water and / or pulling all my live rock out. Anyone with a magic bullet? Thanks for any advice!

I would do a tang like yellow tang or similar to eat algae
six line or similar for worms
copper band butterfly for aiptasia.
snails and crabs. No turbos- they will knock ur frags over.
some pep shrimp as well for aiptasia
depends on how much is going in and out of ur frag tank.

JimmyStephens;967373 wrote: I would do a tang like yellow tang or similar to eat algae
six line or similar for worms
copper band butterfly for aiptasia.
snails and crabs. No turbos- they will knock ur frags over.
some pep shrimp as well for aiptasia
depends on how much is going in and out of ur frag tank.

Great list!

@JR - Thank you! The dimensions are 48 x 18 x 9

Bgcoop8784;967390 wrote: Check out the twin spot bristletooth tang instead of the yellow, all mine does is peck for algae all day, plus they are a little smaller and may do better for longer in the small tank.

That's good advice. My kole tang (bristletooth also right?) never stops... He can be a little dominant despite being smaller tho

Bgcoop8784;967390 wrote: Check out the twin spot bristletooth tang instead of the yellow, all mine does is peck for algae all day, plus they are a little smaller and may do better for longer in the small tank.

I was a little concerned with the water depth and a yellow tang. But I think a bristletooth would work out well in that environment.

Thanks for the suggestion! Any idea what LFS carries them? I would want a small one to start.

Get fish that will be useful in cleaning up algae and any other harmful pest without killing your coral. Nothing is worst than having to clean your tank hard and killing or disturbing a beautiful coral!

Sorry i should have read further down. and would have seen dimensions :D if you need blue leg hermits or any CUC let me know i know where to get them cheap and shipped. Sorry for all the questions but im having a frag tank built. Is that a marineland led?

jrhunter0000;967450 wrote: Sorry i should have read further down. and would have seen dimensions :D if you need blue leg hermits or any CUC let me know i know where to get them cheap and shipped. Sorry for all the questions but im having a frag tank built. Is that a marineland led?

Ill PM you as I need to supplement my existing CUC. Yea the light is the Current USA Orbit LED. Im really surprised at the output, options and look of the light (has, storm, cloud, sunrise and sunset ect). I haven't done a PAR measurement yet. However, my Corals have been responding well after being moved out from under a Reefbreeder Photon 48 LED.

Back