Need advice on moving my tank and upgrading.

23cnhit

Market
Reaction score
As some know, I am still fairly new at this hobby. Right now I have a 42 gallon Bowfront with HOB everything. It has a stand. I just got a 90 gallon tank with sump, stand and canopy. I need to move my existing tank and put the new one in it's place. It is the only spot I can put it. I have fish, coral and inverts.

How long do I need to wait once the new tank is up and running before I relocate all the livestock? Can I just use the water from the existing tank to help facilitate the process?

My plan is to drain the existing tank into a Brute trash can and relocate all the livestock and rock into it. Then move the old tank to a not so permanent location. and reintroducing the livestock and old water back into the old tank until the new one is ready.

Does that sound ok? Or am I doing it all wrong? An advice is helpful Thank

I'm on the same path. I have a 4 month 60 with hang on the back everything. Just got a 90 that I'm still getting the equiptment for. I'm going to set up two 20 gallon long in my basement for a temp place to put fish on 1 and corals on the other while the 90 cycles.
The reason I'm using 2 different tanks is that I want to be able to use 1 fornthe coral and since I'm overcoming ich was thinking about possibly copper dosing the fish.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Here's what I did... it worked out for me, zero fish or coral lost
-move all livestock into brute can, add heater, air pump, circ pump
-tear down old tank, set up new tank, match water (salinity & heat)
-move corals & live rock over
-acclimate fish, then move them over

just that simple, however I did have to borrow some brute cans from a member

It's okay for the fish to stay in the brute can for 2-3 days, didn't hurt them one bit. I didn't feed nor have lights on for them, other than ambient room light.

its A 46G with everything hang on the back?

Just get a friend, drain it down so there is 2" of water above the sand and shove it to the side. Then fill it back up and let it run in the middle of the room while you setup the 90g. Those furniture slider things work great for carpet, and a towel under it will work for hardwood or tile.

Really, its that easy. There is no point in breaking it all down and removing everything just to set it back up somewhere to be taken down again.

EnderG60;1082364 wrote: its A 46G with everything hang on the back?

Just get a friend, drain it down so there is 2" of water above the sand and shove it to the side. Then fill it back up and let it run in the middle of the room while you setup the 90g. Those furniture slider things work great for carpet, and a towel under it will work for hardwood or tile.

Really, its that easy. There is no point in breaking it all down and removing everything just to set it back up somewhere to be taken down again.

Took your advice and it worked out great. New tank is in it's place and plan on getting it up and running soon. Old one is in it's temp place ans looks fine. Thanks again.

Question for everyone also, I am wanting to paint the back of the 90 black. Can I just use regular paint? Nothing special? Yes I'll be painting the outside, but wanted to make sure I don't screw aything up. Thanks again for all advice.

if the 42 is a mature tank, and you'll be using the same sand / rock then I would just swap it as quickly as possible in one evening.

just what I would do.. probably a terrible idea haha

b

Back