Need Chiller Electrical Help

oz

Market
Reaction score
I finally was able to fire up the 2HP JBJ Artica chiller last night. It's on a dedicated 20Amp circuit and breaker in the sub panel.

Chiller powered on, no leaks, everything was good.

I lowered the temp to have the chiller turn on and it went dark. display wouldn't power back on and the main 20A breaker is still good (not tripped)

So apparently there are 2 breakers in the chiller itself. The first is a large breaker with no switch, you push the middle in. The second is under that and has Reset and Test Buttons.

With the chiller controller off, I can manually push the top breaker in and the chiller fires right up and stays on as long as I hold the breaker button in.

The bottom breaker won't reset and stay reset - like a tripped GFCI. This must mean the connections from the controller to the chiller are not hooked up properly.

Called JBJ and I'm waiting for a technician to call me back. Not sure if this will actually happen as they "recommend sending the entire unit to them in CA!!!!!!"

Anyone on here good with electrical connections to chillers via controller? I left a PM for Rich but he must be out and about today.

More than willing to pay for someone that has experience with these things. (Roland doesn't know)

Edit: Adding - I don't believe this version has a Fuse. Model DA-2000B

Adding wiring and breaker image:

JBJChillerWiringLarge.jpg
alt="" />

Thankfully Rich is going to head over in a bit to have a look but in the meantime if anyone (aka John III) has a suggestion please let me know. :)

When I lowered the temp initially the chiller started and immediately turned off so it's not like it took time to get hot or anything.

That is a contractor with an overload on the bottom. The overload portion is probably bad. If you have an amp meter hold it in and check the amps. Compare to the plate. If they read good. Replace the overload

Is there a schematic or line diagram on it? Could be miswired. Can't tell from the pick.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Name plate doesn't give the full load amps but the overloads are fine. From Rich. :)

It was the controller wire Rich ran through the basement ceiling. It must have gotten caught or something. Ugh.

Oz;800486 wrote: It was the controller wire Rich ran through the basement ceiling. It must have gotten caught or something. Ugh.
Wish I could have been more help. Its hard to work on stuff when your not there. And I just live so far away.

Good to hear glad you got it going.

Tell rich not to slack so much next time and you won't have any trouble. :D

Unfortunately, it still isn't running. By passed the wiring through the ceiling and it now has power but reads an error code saying there is a short in the sensor wire. I bypassed that as well and still get the same code. I am going back over tomorrow and going to take the quick connector apart and see if it is shorted in it. I will resolder new wire onto the connect and see if that doesn't clear it up. One of thos puzzling ones where you really can't nail it down until it is fixed. LOL

Edit: Good lord. My keyboard decided to leave half of the letters out that I typed. LOL Oh well, I think you get the just of what I was saying.

rdnelson99;800531 wrote: Unfortunately, it still isn't running. By passed the wiring through the ceiling and it now has power but reads an error code saying there is a short in the sensor wire. I bypassed that as well and still get the same code. I am going back over tomorrow and going to take the quick connector apart and see if it is shorted in it. I will resolder new wire onto the connect and see if that doesn't clear it up. One of thos puzzling ones where you really can't nail it down until it is fixed. LOL

Edit: Good lord. My keyboard decided to leave half of the letters out that I typed. LOL Oh well, I think you get the just of what I was saying.

If you need some help tomorrow give me a call oz has my number. Controls are my strong point. You should see what it takes to run a grocery store. :eek:

JohnIII;800538 wrote: If you need some help tomorrow give me a call oz has my number. Controls are my strong point. You should see what it takes to run a grocery store. :eek:

Trust me I know. I used to maintain the refrigeration at the commisary at Ft. Huachuca AZ. Of course that was back in the dark ages. LOL My guess is that I will find it pretty quick. My first boss in this field taught me a trick that works most times. When you get to one of those head scratchers, walk away and come back the next morning. Most times you find the problem within the first hour. LOL

I've done the same thing. Sometimes you will find it in the first minute if not during "morning meditation":wow2::lol2:

Unfortunately, didn't work today. This one is really puzzling and frustrating. The control parts and pieces are very basic yet everytime I think I have it fixed it melts down. What ever is causing it, caused the control wire I ran through the ceiling to fry so they will need to be replaced. Tomorrow we are gutting the electrial on an identical one and using them to replace the ones in this one.

rdnelson99;800817 wrote: Unfortunately, didn't work today. This one is really puzzling and frustrating. The control parts and pieces are very basic yet everytime I think I have it fixed it melts down. What ever is causing it, caused the control wire I ran through the ceiling to fry so they will need to be replaced. Tomorrow we are gutting the electrial on an identical one and using them to replace the ones in this one.

You should put in line fuses in the wire you are burning up at least till the problem if fixed. They are only like $2 and will save all that wire

See you tomorrow morning Rich. I hope you can figure out what's going on...
I wished I had the time to repair the other chiller but I've been lazy.

JohnIII;800827 wrote: You should put in line fuses in the wire you are burning up at least till the problem if fixed. They are only like $2 and will save all that wire

Greg idea.

rjrgroup;800847 wrote: See you tomorrow morning Rich. I hope you can figure out what's going on...
I wished I had the time to repair the other chiller but I've been lazy.

thanks for accommodating.

Sometimes I hate being right. It was the internal electrical connections from the controller like I originally suspected but without a wiring schematic (JBJ doesn't have one) or a detailed picture of one correctly hooked up, we couldn't.

So thanks to Rich for running all around and getting me back up and chillin.

Sometimes I hate being right. It was the internal electrical connections from the controller like I originally suspected but without a wiring schematic (JBJ doesn't have one) or a detailed picture of one correctly hooked up, we couldn't.

Glad you got it going.

Oz;800993 wrote: Sometimes I hate being right. It was the internal electrical connections from the controller like I originally suspected but without a wiring schematic (JBJ doesn't have one) or a detailed picture of one correctly hooked up, we couldn't.

Yup, making cold. Well, OK you technically can not make cold but you can remove heat by golie it is doing just that. LOL I sketched a schematic but brought it home with me. I will do it up nice in AutoCAD and shoot it to you so you can keep it for future referance.

Hey Randy, I want one of those GFO Reactors you have in the shop. hehehehehe

Back