Need electrical help for a lighting experiment

johnmackay70

Supporting
Reaction score
So I had a gift certificate to Lowes and found some LED outdoor flood lights very cheap. Each unit has 14 CREE XPE LEDs. Unfortunately the units have a built in motion sensor - the Lowes employees there told me that there is an manual override for the motion sensor.

Now that I have wired up the units ( I got 2) and got to read the instructions, I have found that the manual override is only good for 5 hours...

So is there anyone out there that might have some time to help figure out if there is a way to remove/override the motion sensor module on it.

I could return them, but I would really like to see if I can get these to work

By the way, below is a pic of the lights over my 40 gallon breeder (without water)...they are just set up there, I will have to adjust the head direction and height, but I think these will work nicely. - the picture to not do justice at how bright these are...the lights are very white, with just a slight blue tint, but I think when I add my 2x2 bulb T5s (with 3 or 4 actinics I will get a nice blue color)
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
703183=33441-100_1278.jpg
>
703183=33441-100_1278.jpg
class="gc-images" title="100_1278.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Btw, here is some pics of one of the units - only 3 wires to/from the motion / light sensor
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
703187=33443-100_1280.jpg
>
703187=33443-100_1280.jpg
class="gc-images" title="100_1280.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
703187=33442-100_1281.jpg
>
703187=33442-100_1281.jpg
class="gc-images" title="100_1281.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Wire nut the black and red together a cap the white by itself and viola no more motion sensor.

That is what I was guessing, but I really wanted someone to verify before I made this unit non-returnable.

Thanks so much!

JohnIII;703201 wrote: Wire nut the black and red together a cap the white by itself and viola no more motion sensor.

You are welcome. Make sure you cap the wires in the box and seal the hole. :)

Do all Lowes carry these? How much were they? I might want to change out my 100w floodlights

I am not sure if all Lowes carries them; I did see them on their website - I got these at the Lowes in Woodstock. They were $69.

They are a "Utilitech Pro" unit. At the time, they had 2 very similar units. The other was more expensive, but other than the shape of the light heads, I didn't see much difference in the stats

Btw, there is actually no blue tint to these ( I guess it was wishful thinking ), but they are very white...once I add the actinics, I think I will be good

Back