Need expert advice

gclackum

Supporting
Reaction score
I killed my pump tonight to feed and can't get it started. Well I did finally get it to pump but it is squilling really loud. So I'm assuming its shot. Have 4 Korallia 4's(two on each end of a 125). How long do I have to get another pump hooked up? Can I wait till tommorrow evening or does that spell disaster?

You should be fine. Do you have a powerhead you can throw in your sump just to keep it moving till tomorow? Have you taken the pump apart?

So long as you have flow in the display you should be just fine for the night and even longer if you can maintain your temperature. As for the return pump its probably just calcium build up... It happens to all pumps sooner or later.

No I haven't taken it apart however. It sounds like something other than calcium buildup although it may have started that way. When I give it power, it hums then it slowly starts to turn, kind of like a locomotive starting to move, finally it starts turning full speed and emits an ear shattering squill.

Do have a PH. Do I need to circulate the sump or aerate the sump? In other words should I just drop the PH in the sump? I guess I could also run my sump mounted skimmer although the water level in the sump is high.

Barbara;196891 wrote: George, how long since you cleaned it? What kind of pump? I agree with the others; you should be fine overnight without engaging the sump. Good suggestion for putting a PH in the sump though. If you have a spare, that would be a good idea. And remember to move your heater into the DT if you're going to have the sump out of the loop for a while.

Its an old little giant 4. I have never cleaned it. I would have to take it off line to clean it. So I guess I should buy a spare either way. Is Sam the best place to buy a external pump?

Barbara;196895 wrote: How many compartments in the sump? Refugium? If you have the means to circulate it, that would be best (in the case of multiple compartments). If you only have 1, then I'd just use the powerhead to keep the water from sitting still. I doubt it needs aerating, but you might want to break the surface to keep the film from building up on the top.

It is just a wet/dry that I took the bioballs out of.

Barbara;196899 wrote: Sam is probably a good option, but I would check a couple of sources. First thing I would do is try to clean the little giant. It is very possible that it was so dirty that the power down just was more than it could handle. A good cleaning does wonders. Was the pump hot to the touch when you powered it down?

I didn't check it before I powered it down but it got hot when I was trying to bring it back up.

I'll give it a try. It was used when I got it two years ago. doubt if it has ever been cleaned. I think the electrical storms over the last few days may have helped in its demise, but I won't know until I give it a cleaning and see if it revives.
Thanks for your help!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how would you go about cleaning a pump? I just bought some used equipment, and it sounds like something I should do before I get things up and running.

Take the pump apart (the impellar part) and soak the in water and vinegar. Rinse and reassemble.

Back