Need Help and Advice.

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
This just suddenly popped up on my sand bed. I'm thinking diatoms but not sure because this is my first time ever seeing this. Suggestions on what it is and what should I do.
IMG_20190902_130213.jpg

I haven't made any changes to my system.

I'm setting up to do a 50% water change bc my nitrates are at 20ppm.

Well to think of it I did switch over to feeding more flake food during the week. So as opposed to feeding flake 1-2 times a week went to 3-4 times. Could this have caused it?

I've had it for almost 4 months but it's been up and running for about 10 months.

What are your phosphate numbers? Looks like the start of either diatoms or cyano. I’d bet on cyano. Let us know your nitrate and phosphate levels. We can go from there.

I know my nitrates are at 10. I'll have to check my phosphates when I get home.

It looks like diatoms, which often/usually appear first after an aquarium has cycled.
They are pioneer organisms and uniquely equipped to utilize nitrogen faster than other organisms, due to special enzymes they have.
Diatoms are also known to form symbiotic communities with cyanobacteria, which may be why we often see cyano. appear on their heels.

See here for more-

"...studies of urea cycle enzymes to show that the cycle enables diatoms to recover quickly after prolonged periods of nitrogen limitation (Nature (2011) 473, 203–207). This fits in with numerous observations of the diatoms' ‘bloom and bust’ response, i.e. their ability to outcompete all other species as soon as a nutrient limitation is removed."

Diatoms based on the age of the tank. It's one of the "new tank syndrome" things that pops up. Do post your number and maybe increase your water changes by a little but, honestly, it's just something that a tank goes through when it's working it's way to maturing.

Back