Need help - basement fish room

maelstrom79

Supporting
Reaction score
I intend to set up a basement fish room (and will be sure and do a build thread for it). Our sewage line is not below the basement concrete floor; it is hanging from the basement ceiling. For drainage, I figure I will have to have the sink and drain line (for water changes) go into a sump basin and use either a sump or effluent pump (with a backflow preventer) to the main sewer line.

The problem is that all the sump pumps I've found are not rated for use with saltwater (and use with saltwater voids the warranty). Do you all have any suggestions on sump pumps or another way to handle drainage from my tank and new sink? All guidance is greatly appreciated!!

Use the exact idea you are planning but use an aquarium pump with a float switch instead of a traditional sump pump.

Any other thoughts?? A regular aquarium pump can't handle the flow from a sink and aquarium plus back pressure in the line.

Maelstrom79;1045297 wrote: Any other thoughts?? A regular aquarium pump can't handle the flow from a sink and aquarium plus back pressure in the line.

For water changes use the aquarium pump and go directly to the sewage line and bypass the sump pump. Use the sump pump for the sink only , it should handle what little salt you would present it with, My did.

Back