Need help: Side drilling overflow for refugium?

pochaxoo

Market
Reaction score
I have a 45 gallon tank that I am going to use as a refugium. I now am convinced the bottom is tempered and cannot be drilled so can I just drill a 1" hole where I want the water level to be and add a bulkhead? I can get the nice pipe screens like what I have on my CPR overflow so I am trying to figure out is there an issue here with this I am missing?

I did this with a 75gal tank. Leave at least 1" between the from the top of the glass to the top of the hole. I am flowing about 200-300 gph through the fuge.
When you use the dimond drill bite, push lightly and keep water sprayed on it.

petrasb;294794 wrote: I did this with a 75gal tank. Leave at least 1" between the from the top of the glass to the top of the hole. I am flowing about 200-300 gph through the fuge.
When you use the dimond drill bite, push lightly and keep water sprayed on it.

The smaller the tank the thinner the glass. Applying pressure to the drill/bit during the operation can put a tank on the scrap heap quick.

Let the bit do all the work and make sure it is straight up and down. If the bit starts cutting one side of the circle heavier then the other the risk of cracking the glass is increased.

It's really a simple thing. The trickiest part is getting it started without the bit skating across the glass.

Seedless Reefer;294811 wrote:
It's really a simple thing. The trickiest part is getting it started without the bit skating across the glass.

I've drilled a bunch of tanks lately, including some 10Gs with thin glass. The best way I have found to keep the bit from skidding as Loren mentioned, is to tape a piece of styrofoam to the glass pre-cut with the hole size you are going to use. this keeps the bit in place without applying undue pressure to the sides and allows for alittle flexibiity. It works great for me!

Bob

What kind of bit/equipment do you need to cut these smaller tanks?
Where do you guys get them?

Sorry for the hi-jack:)

Diamond encrusted hole saw you can get a set off ebay for cheap.

This is the set I bought:
38mm-45mm-60mm-Diamond-coated-drill-bit-hole-saw-3pcs_W0QQitemZ350170469488QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Business_Industrial_Construction_Industrial_Equipment

Back