Need help spending $1000

thecanman

Market
Reaction score
Good evening everyone. My name is Ronnie and I am just getting back into the salt again. I really need some help with picking up a few things for my recently purchased 60 gallon cube and ruby sump. The items I intend on getting is a pump, powerheads, and lights. I have earmarked $1000 for these 3/4 items and I need some help so any advice you could give me would be great. Thank you

Connie I did ask Brandon and I wrote down what he told me but just looking for differing opinions.

That's a solid budget. Depending on your stocking, you probably want to think about a good protein skimmer too.

Lights for that tank can go super expensive and get a radion or go mid level and get a prime hd. Sicce pumps are solid pumps. I run one on my frag tank. I have a jebao on my 120. Jebao is cheap but has a controller. Vectra pumps would be in the ecotech family. Can't speak to them personally. Powerhead, in that range you could again go with ecotech products or get a max spect.

Personally, with that budget, I'd probably get an AI hydra 26 for lights (~370), maxspect xf330 (~300), then either divide the money up for a simmer and return (possibly going jebao on return) or, if you have a skimmer or other money for a skimmer, look into what features you want for a return. If you're running an apex you can control many types of pumps. If not, there are other options that are controllable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You are right I did leave off the skimmer so I would entertain going up to 1250 for all. Maxxspect or ecotech in your opinion? I am not sure but I think I may go with an apex controller. Thank you for your input it does mean a lot and I will research what you have said

Welcome. I really like my Hydra 52. I use it on a 35 cube. I run a Jebao Return pump and it has been great for a few years. The skimmer I used is meh so I will spare you that but I would say to get a good one and not skim there. An apex will kill your budget but they are useful.

I have a 24” 8 bulb ati, reefbrite, m1 and gyres to move

Highly suggest getting an apex. They are expensive but well worth it imo.

Good evening everyone. My name is Ronnie and I am just getting back into the salt again. I really need some help with picking up a few things for my recently purchased 60 gallon cube and ruby sump. The items I intend on getting is a pump, powerheads, and lights. I have earmarked $1000 for these 3/4 items and I need some help so any advice you could give me would be great. Thank you

I guess i should ask, what type of corals are you planning on growing? Lighting can depend for if you want SPS, LPS, or just softies.

As for return pumps, I highly recommend the Ecotech Vectra Line and the Neptune COR line for higher end pumps. If you want to go a little cheaper Maxspect and Jebaos are good options too.

For flow, the Ecotech mp10s would be good for you, but if you are inclined to gyres the Icecap ones are awesome too. You might want to think about getting 4 different pumps if you want great distributed and uninterrupted flow throughout the tank. Cubes can be bad about this. Also jebao powerheads are good for this too. Just watch them and make sure they aren't rusting.

For skimmer, I've recently started using the Dalua GW skimmer. Its pretty awesome and at a great price point too. Other options are the RedSea Line and NYOS which are great skimmers.

In total this might be slightly above budget, but they offer great performance and decent warranties for the performance.

Great thank you. You have given me a lot of information and I will check into this.As far as growing I am thinking more softies but would like to dabble in sps

When getting your lighting make sure that they will penetrate the 30" tank depth. I have that problem on my 60 cube and my 265g tank. I had to go with a deeper sandbed and put lower light corals on the bottom, acros midway and top. Sicce 2000 or 3000 pumps work well, mine is a 2000 but I went with 2 mp 10. The members here have great buys so that can save you a lot of money. I have used the quietone 4000 on my 40g and my 90g qt. Good luck with your tank!

Great thank you. You have given me a lot of information and I will check into this.As far as growing I am thinking more softies but would like to dabble in sps
No problem, glad to help any time.

Ahh, that sorta pulls up a problem because softies don't require much light, but most SPS require lots. I'd go with something that is scalable. That way you can start small and grow based on your need.

I'd say LEDs is the way to go. More of an upfront cost but no maintenance costs later on. For LEDs I'd recommend Ecotech Radions, AI Hydra HDs, Orphek Atlantic V4 Compact (currently on sale through BRS), or Kessil 360s. Radions are very expensive, but they always perform well and they offer great reliability and customer service.

If you want to stay cheaper go with T5s. They are cheap up front and honestly do great growth and coloration throughout the life of the units. I love the ATI brand bulbs and ATI Sunpower Module.

Honestly with this hobby there are a million different brands of everything, if you stick with the big names you won't have any problems minus a few lemons every now and again. I now everything I offered might put you over budget, but its worth it especially if you go full SPS or mixed reef tanks which is what I do.

After some research I have decided on a few things but have not ordered so let me know what you think.

pump- going with a Jabeo DCP-4000

skimmer- I have found 3 so please give me input. Reef Octopus S-130, Bubble Magus curve 5, Dalua GW-5 (recommended) looks well built

powerheads- I will be doing 2 MP-10's is this enough?

lights- I am really thinking of a hybrid. I am looking at aquatic life T5HO 24" with a AI26 or a Radion. The purpose of this would be for my ultimate end goal which is to grow Acropora. Is this over kill should I be looking at a metal halide setup or by adding a set of T5 lights would this help?

once again thank you in advance for the advice

Most of the amazing tanks I see run a combo of t5 and LED. I think that's the way to go. If you cab seeing the radion, go with that. Ive never had one and couldn't afford the $2000 to light my 120 but they are the gold standard from what I've seen and read.

I'd suggest the RO skimmer. Again, they have been at it for a while and I've found their skimmers to be quality.

Jebao pumps are solid if unspectacular. A sicce would give you better reliability without a controller. Really, i think the jebao is fine. It's what i have on my 120. Honestly, I'd buy 2 and swap them out quarterly/ semi annually for cleaning.

Finally, if you can fit it in your budget, I'd absolutely suggest an Apex. Definately woth it imo.

I've got an Apex Classic with a new PH probe and temp probe. Includes everything in pc except for controller. You can do all the setup from computer and you can run it from any phone or computer. $250

Attachments

• 20190825_101720.jpg
    20190825_101720.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Ok so I’m going to offer an unpopular opinion on lights.
At least consider MH
I have to say since going back to 250w halides my corals are finally growing again. A good setup isn’t cheap, but it’s less cash than many full spectrum led outfits.
Also consider a used ATI t5. I see them often on the “other” forum. It’s hard to beat t5.:)
If you do want LED and don’t want to spend a lot consider Ocean Revive. They aren’t fancy, but they do have whatever it takes to grow sps! I’ve used them also and they are cheap, and work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back