Need help To ID

Rocky Moreland

Reaction score
Can anyone ID what is growing on these mushrooms? It’s the purple growth that appeared while I was away this week it looks like coralline algae. What ever it is is not on any of the other corals or mushrooms in tank.

Hey Rocky,

It's actually not coraline. You're looking at the digestive components of the shroom. They can push them out of themselves like that at times and not just out of the mouth. Those components are white in color and are simply reflecting the blue/purple from your lights. As such from a casual glance it does look like purple coraline...

Shrooms will do this when stressed typically or something has agitated them. It happens to some of mine from time to time and it will just go away on its own in my experience. If it continues you may want to consider dipping or various other treatments. Let me know if it is still a problem and I can help guide yah.

Thank you. We pulled out the rock and they are stinky so we're dipping them. Hopefully it will be ok.

Whislt we're on the subject of these mushrooms, do you know what species they are? Nobody has been able to tell us. They are not colorful but they are big and when they are completely open the rocks looks pretty.

Back