need help with chemistry

spardoin

Market
Reaction score
My aquarium is 3 months old now and I'm having nitrate problems all other parameters are good (Ph 8.0, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0) but nitrate 20ppm after having done water changes every 7 days the last three weeks. I am guessing that this is the cause of having red algea.

All water that I have placed in my tank has come from the LFS, which I trust.
I have 1 Pygmy angelfish, 1 fire fish, 2 angel fish, and a watchman goby.
I believe i do a great job of not over feeding. My clean up crew consist of about 4 snails, and 4 hermit crabs, 1 Nano Serpent Star, and 1 Nassarius Snail.
In addition to feeding once nightly, with what i feed being consumed in about 40 seconds I regularly dose with the following
- Aquavitro 8.4 for reefs (safely raises & buffers pH to 8.4)
- Aquavitro fuels for reefs (ignites coral growh, carbohydrate, vitamin, fatty acitd and amino acid supplements for corals)
- Reef Nutrition Phytofeast

Could any of these supplements be causing the high nitrates.

2 other notes, I have had a firefish that died about 2 months ago and then another that died about 10 days ago. I have never found the reminants of these fish. I am guessing that the nassarius snail or hermits ate it up.

I also have a snail that I think is dying. Should I just remove it, if I am certain it has died?

_________

oceanic biocube 14 gallon with
-one 24 watt True Actinic 03 Blue Straight Pin
- one 24 watt 10000K daylight straight pin
- 2 .75 Watt Lunar Blue Moon Glow LED
Pump flow rate 137 gph

the phytofeast can do that......but yeah....thats way to many angels(pygmy or not)in a 14g tank....if anything they are contribution quite a bit to nitrates.....and the snail thats dying.....id get it out....

The two clowns (percs, not Tomato or Fire Clowns) and maybe the gobie is all you should have in that tank.

You need to downsize the livestock or upgrade the tank size w/o adding anymore fish.

5 fish is enough for a 40 gallon tank, IMHO

spardoin;740876 wrote: My aquarium is 3 months old now and I'm having nitrate problems all other parameters are good (Ph 8.0, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0) but nitrate 20ppm after having done water changes every 7 days the last three weeks. I am guessing that this is the cause of having red algea.

All water that I have placed in my tank has come from the LFS, which I trust.
I have 1 Pygmy angelfish, 1 fire fish, 2 angel fish, and a watchman goby.
I believe i do a great job of not over feeding. My clean up crew consist of about 4 snails, and 4 hermit crabs, 1 Nano Serpent Star, and 1 Nassarius Snail.
In addition to feeding once nightly, with what i feed being consumed in about 40 seconds I regularly dose with the following
- Aquavitro 8.4 for reefs (safely raises & buffers pH to 8.4)
- Aquavitro fuels for reefs (ignites coral growh, carbohydrate, vitamin, fatty acitd and amino acid supplements for corals)
- Reef Nutrition Phytofeast

Could any of these supplements be causing the high nitrates.

2 other notes, I have had a firefish that died about 2 months ago and then another that died about 10 days ago. I have never found the reminants of these fish. I am guessing that the nassarius snail or hermits ate it up.

I also have a snail that I think is dying. Should I just remove it, if I am certain it has died?

_________

oceanic biocube 14 gallon with
-one 24 watt True Actinic 03 Blue Straight Pin
- one 24 watt 10000K daylight straight pin
- 2 .75 Watt Lunar Blue Moon Glow LED
Pump flow rate 137 gph
They can contribute to the elevated level

+1. Also, what you feed the fish can be almost as important as how much. I tested a few different frozen foods and they were horrible. Supposedly flakes are worse.

Back