Need help with light mounting

jetlink82

Market
Reaction score
I have two of the "chinese" D120 LED lights on the way for my 90 gallon tank. I built the canopy and stand for this tank a year ago and at the time didn't have plans to turn it into a reef. I have been a using a Truelumen Pro LED light strip inside the hood and now am trying to figure out how I am going to mount the new lights.

I am thinking about either cutting two holes slightly smaller than the light housing itself and resting them right on the wood, OR.....removing the plywood top and somehow make a bar of some sort to hang the lights from. For those of you that have these lights, does the housing get hot at all....and would that not be safe to rest the lights on top of the canopy?

Here are a few of the pics of the canopy I built. Forgot to mention that hanging the lights from the ceiling is not an option, I would like to stay married. Also I will most likely move the hing forward in order to center the lights better over the tank.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
924550=50964-a.jpg
>
924550=50964-a.jpg
class="gc-images" title="a.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
924550=50965-unnamed.jpg
>
924550=50965-unnamed.jpg
class="gc-images" title="unnamed.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

What are you going to do with those existing lights?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I built a frame around my led units and placed in the canopy

Mine had a small piece of trim inside so I bought some angle aluminum and built a rack that runs inside the canopy. Cost me about $30 including a riveter.

BrandonMason;924657 wrote: What are you going to do with those existing lights?

I will either keep them on the tank (which I don't think I will need) or I will just sell them. To my surprise they are growing button polyps and paly's very well, along with keeping some zoa's alive.

Just as a heads up these lights are really powerful. I have three over my 120 gallon that is 24" tall. I have them hanging at least 10" above the water line and have never turned them above 50%. I hope you got the dimmable version.

Back