Need help with Red Mushroom Frag moving!

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I have a small red mushroom frag with two mushrooms. After getting them home and in my tank I noticed that the frag is very thin and there is actually one mushroom on each side which didn't seem to be a problem because the one on the bottom side would just reach around and open up right next to the top side one. I've had them in for about a week and everything looked good. Two days ago, I added two emerald crabs and this morning the mushrooms had been moved about 6 inches from where I had them. I put them back where they were and unfortunately had to leave for most of the day. When I got home this afternoon they were a long ways from where I put them. I'm only guessing that one of the new crabs is the culprit since that is the only change.

What do I do about it? I'm afraid to try the glue especially since one is on the bottom. Is there a way to move them from the frag to a permanent place on my rock? They are very small and the frag is very thin so I'm not even sure I'll be able to hold them in my fingers if I remove them from the frag.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
31743=1923-Mushroom-Red_DSC00644_24G_070328.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
31743=1923-Mushroom-Red_DSC00644_24G_070328.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Mushroom-Red_DSC00644_24G_070328.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I like where you have them currently positioned. I'd suggest that you just use some aquarium epoxy to hold part of the frag in that little crevice. If you must remove one of the shrooms, jsut do so with a razor blade as close to the frag as you can. You can then use netting to hold it down to another rock and rubberband the netting not the shroom.

mushrooms can move on their own if they are unhappy were they are also when they do move you usually end up with a little clone of the mushroom. I woke up one morning and my mushroom moved about 2 feet to the left in my tank. They actually let go at the base and get moved around in the current. I say just leave them and they will settle down where they want to be. Hope that helps

I think they are having a problem with a crab moving the rock the mushrooms are on not the mushrooms moving themselves.

I would epoxy that rock to a bigger rock to secure it.

i totaly understood that as the actual mushrooms are moving. yeah then just glue that rock down.

That's correct, I think one of the crabs is moving the whole rock, which isn't really a rock but a very thin wafer of some type. So if I use epoxy, can that be done underwater? Exactly what kind should I get? I'd have to take too much rock apart to get the big piece out that the wafer is sitting on. I would try cutting them both off the wafer and rubberbanding the net down as suggested, but if the crab tears open the net, breaks the rubber band or otherwise sets them loose I'll probably never find them.

You can use regular super glue to bond the frag to a rock. It can be any rock, just use something heavy enough so crabs or snails can't move it. Emerald crabs won't vut through the net or rubberband so fragging is an option.

ive seen people use shot glasses and a bit of rubbel just drop the mushroom in there and let it sit on the rubble it will attach it's self (assuming you cut the mushroom of the wafer thing). Another thing that could work is a floating breeder or breeder net with some rubbel and LR.

FutureInterest;31763 wrote:
Something like this:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AS4711">http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AS4711</a>[/QUOTE]

Ya most LFS carry the epoxy stick and it can be used underwater... DOes not hold heavy rocks too well but your wafer should hold.

Thanks guys! They left it alone last night so maybe it isn't going to be a problem. However, I'm placing an order with marinedepot for another tank project real soon and I'll get the red glue stick just in case.

Andy, the first time it was moved uphill, the second time it was on a lower level rock. I worry about glueing my fingers together under the best of circumstances with super-glue so I am really hesitant to try to do something like that underwater. Plus, I really am not on board yet that there isn't something harmful in squirting those chemicals under the water. You guys know way more about this stuff than I so I'm sure it would be ok, Im just a little afraid of it. I took people's advice about my PomPom Xenia and it worked perfectly but I lke to go slow with new things.

If anyone in the Lawrenceville area is going to be doing any frag work soon, I'd really like to come watch. Heck, I'd really just like to come see other tanks and how people do things.

My emerald loves to pick up small frags/rocks and toss them around the tank to get at what is underneath. It's rather annoying.

Back