Need help with return manifold

curtismaximus

Market
Reaction score
I am having trouble building a return manifold for my new setup. I have been to Lowes twice and ended up not buying anything. My return pump is to strong for the drain so I want to use the extra flow. My return pump is current soft plumbed to the bulk head on the bottom of the tank. The return hose is 3/4" I believe. I would like to run a reactor or two, and maybe divert water to an external refuge later down the road.

If you could post pictures of your manifold that would help. Any suggestions or info will be appreciated.

Ive got one line coming off my manifold feeding a small reactor, the main line is 3/4" and the leg coming off is 1/2". Im getting ~150 GPH through the reactor and 500 up top. If your going to need to divert a good bit of flow then having an extra outlet on your manifold, aside from the reactors, then a valve with a "dump" pipe to just send some flow back into the sump could give you alot of control.

Here is my simple manifold

15634476681_922887e137_c.jpg
alt="" /></a>https://flic.kr/p/pPyMdM">2014-10-26_08-13-48</a> by [IMG]https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/">North Ga Hillbilly</a>, on Flickr
(Put your check valve ABOVE any manifold, as I wasnt thinking and put mine below, so it dosent do its job unless I cut flow to the manifold :/

NorthGaHillbilly;998027 wrote: Ive got one line coming off my manifold feeding a small reactor, the main line is 3/4" and the leg coming off is 1/2". Im getting ~150 GPH through the reactor and 500 up top. If your going to need to divert a good bit of flow then having an extra outlet on your manifold, aside from the reactors, then a valve with a "dump" pipe to just send some flow back into the sump could give you alot of control.

Here is my simple manifold

15634476681_922887e137_c.jpg
alt="" /></a>https://flic.kr/p/pPyMdM">2014-10-26_08-13-48</a> by [IMG]https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/">North Ga Hillbilly</a>, on Flickr
(Put your check valve ABOVE any manifold, as I wasnt thinking and put mine below, so it dosent do its job unless I cut flow to the manifold :/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Greg. Simple and gets the job done.

This is very similar to the way I ran mine, expect that I used all white (Schedule 40) PVC and instead of the really nice Cepax Ball valve, cheap ball valves. Oh and I'm not feeding a chiller.

You know now that I think of it, this may not resemble what I have, more like what I want.

I stole the pic from another site, then I realized it was from thanreef's build.... sorry Than
my-plumbing1.jpg
alt="" />

hihi... It's been for about 2 years since I upgraded a new tank. You can view more photos of manifold in
showthread.php

Thanks for the info guys this is great! Than your plumbing is very well done. I'm impressed that was your first time. I am going to try and setup something similar to yours.

I have a simple single output manifold. There is a T off the return line (3/4" PVC) into a true union ball valve and exits with a barbed output that feeds my TLF reactor.

66c3509cc11a1c924dd8b1a3e986d71c.jpg
alt="" />

Quick example of how not to do it. At the time the only thing I wanted to feed was my fuge. Knew it was the wrong thing to do but stubbornly did it anyway. Ran my return directly into a T with one going to the tank and the other to the fuge.

I'm going to correct it by getting some flex PVC and the run some T's off the long stretch running to the 90 that goes up and into the back of the tank for the return. Then I can run a small amount to the fuge, the reactor, and maybe a calcium reactor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is wrong with your setup? Just that you didn't set up your manifold for extra reactors?

Curtismaximus;998359 wrote: What is wrong with your setup? Just that you didn't set up your manifold for extra reactors?

Was this directed at me?

RedStang;998364 wrote: Was this directed at me?

I assume so. I can see your reluctance with that plumbing setup but as long as you're overcoming the pressure loss (enough power on the pump) is it really such a bad setup?

tonymission;998371 wrote: I assume so. I can see your reluctance with that plumbing setup but as long as you're overcoming the pressure loss (enough power on the pump) is it really such a bad setup?

It's inefficient. And if I do add some T's in it just makes it worse. Some flex PVC eliminates the 90 and pushes the head loss to lower flow outlets like the fuge feed and reactor. And even those can be handled with tubing to minimize the angled losses. I have an Eheim 1262 so I actually do have plenty of flow.

Back