Need help

holabird

Market
Reaction score
Ok. Its like this, either I get this thing running or it has to go. I have a 300 gallon tank, sump, skimmer that I need to get set up and running. Easy peasy but not for me. Tired of it not working right and the wife is more impatient than me. Looking for someone to come over and get things functioning properly, for a fee of course. I have a large stand that it sits on so plenty of room to work and I have it feeding to the sump in the basement, so even more room. The biggest issue seems to be at the bulkheads coming out of the overflow and return. Cant get them to stop leaking. I will supply all the parts and pay for the labor. Should be a simple and fairly quick job for somebody. Tank is up and holding water just fine, it is the plumbing that needs the help.

Who's in? PM me if you can help out. I am in Marietta not far from the square. Thanks, Dave

I'm not great with plumbing but might be able to see what i can do next weekend. If you really want it done right, you may want to call one of the sponsor stores. I don't know where you got you tank, but I'm fairly certain the guys at Pure Reef will set up plumbing.

I am still rather inexperienced myself and am about to upgrade to a larger tank. One thing I have heard rather consistently is that it is good to replace all bulkheads with new ones when setting up a tank. I have been told that a small dab of silicone on either side of the washers helps, but I have also heard it is bad to use silicone in the washers. As long as the bulkheads and washers are new, it should just be a matter of ensuring the glass on each side of the holes are perfectly clean then make sure to tighten the new bulkheads as much as you can by hand, maybe with a wet rag for more grip.

I have also heard mixed stories on whether or not to use pipe wrenches. I personally do not plan to use pipe wrenches since i have a pretty firm grip and can tighten the nulkheads fine. I would be more worried about cracking the glass if tightenning with wrenches.

I am travelling but will be back tonight and live in Marietta not too far from the square myself. I am willing to help, I would just hope someone with more experience than I would be able to assist.

Either way I would love to see the tank since we are apparently in rather close proximity to eachother.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm new to the hobby but just set up a 90 gal reef tank with bulk head fittings. Be sure the rubber washer is on the water/wet side of the fitting. I didn't use silicone but I did slightly tighten more than hand tight. I used channel lock pliers and went about 1/4 turn more than hand tight and have been running for 2 months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just set up a 300 gallon DD and can come over to help. Just let me know and we can set up some time for me to stop over and hopefully get you going.

Got it up and running. Thanks for the offers of help from the ones above. I appreciate it. Now just to let things run for awhile to make sure.

Here is the beast. Tennacor 300 gallon RR acrylic. Going to be FOWLR for right now. We shall see how things go.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Glad you got it running. Wanted to offer help, but working a lot right now and you are far from me! Can't wait to see your progress!

As a future reference for anyone, as opposed to silicone, the best sealant you can put on ANY O-rings that i've found is keg lube. It's sticky and has a texture similar to vaseline, and made for food-safe rubber seals. I use it on my rodi too.

a>

Thanks for sharing the info on keg lube. I had never heard if it before, but it makes sense.

Back