need help

mikeup6

Market
Reaction score
I cannot, for the life of me, get this plastic tubing to slide all the way on to the connectors. Anyone have any hints? Is there some sort of special lube?

you can use pvc cement or silicone; don't worry it'll still come off :)

I'm assuming hose onto barb...

Have you tried K-Y? Works for me when I am trying to slide my hose in things. :D

Ya I am assuming that it is a hose on a barb too..

Try to dip the end of the hose in really hot water and then put it on... The water will soften the hose.

mikeup6;177133 wrote: I cannot, for the life of me, get this plastic tubing to slide all the way on to the connectors. Anyone have any hints? Is there some sort of special lube?
hair dryer or heat gun.

DSC_0855.jpg
alt="" />

Dammit, I knew I forgot something at the store today! I'm all out of KY :D. Guess I'll have to give the hair dryer and water a shot.

Sweet.....hot water worked. I never realized setting up this tank was going to be such a frustrating process.

Thanks for the help.

mikeup6;177235 wrote: Sweet.....hot water worked. I never realized setting up this tank was going to be such a frustrating process.

Thanks for the help.

LOL, If the worst problem you have is getting the hoses connected, consider yourself lucky!!! ;) Glad it worked for ya, K-Y is hard on your skimmer!!!

Try an ultra thin coating of Vaseline on the barb and the inside of the hose. Also, a pair of latex gloves (dishwashing) gives you a huge improvement in grip.

Your hose type is also harder to get fittnigs into. You really do not need the reinforced, braided type of hose for reef plumbing connections. That is a high pressure hose, made for household water pressure, many times more than you'd ever see in any reef equipment.
Dave

Xyzpdq0121;177241 wrote: LOL, If the worst problem you have is getting the hoses connected, consider yourself lucky!!! ;) Glad it worked for ya, K-Y is hard on your skimmer!!!

I wish that was my biggest problem. My biggest problem is this project seems to be moving nowhere. This tank should be up and cycling by now. On the plus side, I now have a killer collection of hoses, valves, and connectors (most of which seem to be the wrong size). And they are on display scattered across the room. I get confused just looking at it!

Acro, is vaseline really safe? About the braided hose, unfortunately that was all Lowes had in the size I needed. It does seem like overkill.

mikeup6;177244 wrote: Acro, is vaseline really safe? About the braided hose, unfortunately that was all Lowes had in the size I needed. It does seem like overkill.

I have used it many times without issue, but I cannot tell you 100% that it is safe. I have an Eheim 2028 Pro II that included a tube of vaseline for use with the O-rings that seal the filter, so I would assume it is safe, seeing how Eheims are made for fresh or salt use. Besides, we're talking a tiny amount.

The braiding inside the tubes is your problem. It is in there to keep the tubing from flexing outward from water pressure, so that is why it does not want to flex for your barbed fitting.
Dave

i know its a late reply and you already solved the problem but i just wanted to say what worked for me for future readers. A heat gun put it to the end of the hose then slide on when it heats up kind like the hot water trick.

Both heat gun and hot water have worked very well for me. If the hose is going to be exposed to the light, I'd switch to the black stuff, otherwise algae will grow inside of it.

Speaking of algae growing in the hose... how in the world am I supposed to get it out of there, or should I just go buy some black hose and start over.. The length of the hose is about 4 ft.

I bought a bottle brush from DRF&S that is maybe 18 inches long. It does a pretty good job, but if you are taking it apart to clean it I think I would just replace it anyway.

Hot water worked on the hoses for me, and the tank is finally up and running:

showthread.php

Back