Need more advice from you guys please

floridaboy704

Market
Reaction score
Ok so my reef has been doing well in general. I just have a few concerns coming up.

First off, I had a hammer coral frag given to me about 3 days ago. It has been opened up nicely most of the time but today I noticed that the tentacles were shrunken up, then expanded a little, then shrunk up again, only recently fully expanded then now that lights are out... only to partially shrink again and I can see what I think is the mouth clearly. I placed him in the top 2/3 of my tank closer to the lights. Do any of you that have hammer corals see them behave this way?? Also he got some brine when I was feeding my clown and seemed to be enjoying it... should I spot feed him?? Oh yeah... and do they poop like anemones?? :blush: Mine had brown stuff coming out of the center yesterday!?

Second.... Strange dissapearances. I have some yellow polyps, about 6 heads. Now I can only find 3 of the heads, the others are gone. I watch my tank a lot, even at night and have never seen anything mess with them except for an emerald crab that decapitated one of the heads. He has been gone for a long time and these disappearances are relatively new... any Ideas? I have hermits but they always ignore them. I should point out that the heads that are gone were very tiny. The largest of the heads look nice and healthy. Im lost to this one...

Next up.... Warfare.... maybe....

I have a cluster of pom pom xenia that decided to take up residence next to my kenya tree frag. today I noticed that the kenya had grown enough to actually touch the xenia. Neither the xenia or the kenya looks stressed by this except for the fact that the kenya tree is leaning in an odd direction now. I didnt think the xenia or the kenya have stinging cells or chemical warfare tactics but I could be wrong. I have no Idea how to move one or the other without injury as they are both firmly anchored to my largest piece of LR. Will they be okay and be good neighbors?? Oh yeah and my 2nd xenia is encroaching on my new hammer frag.... Im sure the hammer will fend off the xenia right?? They are about 4 inches apart now but I know how quick xenia grow!

I know this is a lot of questions and im sorry but I am a newbie and hope all will be okay.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate Undetectable
pH 8.1
SG 1.025

Stock list:

<u>Corals</u>
Hammer coral (1 head frag)
2 pom pom xenia
sm zoa frag (6 heads)
1 mushroom
2 rics (sm and med)
1 kenya tree (3 inches tall)
1 sm GSP frag (quarter size)
sm cluster of yellow polyps

<u>Fish</u>

1 med size false perc

<u>CUC</u>
9 sm blue leg hermits
2 turbo snails
1 cerinth snail
1 astrea snail

Equipment:

AP 24 with stock lighting (1x32w SunPaq
Dual Daylight & 1x32w SunPaq Dual Actinic
), modified filter, koralia 1
25 lbs LR and shallow sand bed

Sorry if I sound like an idiot but im just looking to the experts because I dont know the typical "behavior" of corals as of yet. I have tried to read and do some searching but that hasn't handed up the experiance that you guys have. :doh:

Back