Need recommendations on setting up my sump (layout)

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
I'm about to switch everything from my 75 to a 90RR with a 30 gallon sump. The sump (made by Oceanic Systems) only contains one baffle; it goes from almost the floor to 1/2 way up... it's not really a baffle, it's a box with a short side and a tall side, the bottom is 3 large square holes. It's apparently made to house filter media or something, so water flows over the short wall and has to leave through the bottom. This is about 30% along the length (so it has a large area on one side of the box and a short area on the other side). It also has a big basket that was full of bioballs and a big folded filter pad on top. The short side of the sump has a big drain bulkhead that is plugged up. The drain and return lines both go through a short glass panel that sits on top (about 12x12).

This sump will house the skimmer, heater... and now I need suggestions. I figured I'd put cheato in the basket. Does water need to actively flow through cheato or just have contact? I also thought I'd put rubble in the baffle/box thing, with a screen in the floor to keep it from falling through.

Any other suggestions of how to set this sump up? I can't make MAJOR changes after the fact because the sump will only come out of the stand through the top... once the tank is on, it's there for the long haul. I can snap a picture or two if needed.

Hi Barry,

snap pics, please.

The chaeto does best if freely tumbling in a tank - but the compartment can be put to use with some media bags and carbon or nitrate sponges... (uh, I already hear all the peeps protesting LOL).
My recommendation would be to add another set of baffles on the other third end and build a bubble free return section, so the middle part can be used for skimmer return and fuge.
Rubble is just as bad as bio balls - a filtersock will do - your live rock in the tank should do the job for biofiltration.

Robb

PS: Are you at Sal's tomorrow?

Sump is similar to the ones pictured here:
AOC80305.jpg
alt="" />

Robb,
Gotta work tomorrow. If you will be home at around 5:30, would I be imposing if I threw the sump in the back of the truck and dropped by? It's hard for me to envision what people type; I'm pretty "visual". If I have doubts about how I'll set it up I may put off my tank switch until next week (though I REALLY wanna do it Sunday).

I have the glass top for it, too. The only thing I see different is these in the pic don't have the bulkhead on the lower RHS end wall. I also have a Coralife Super Skimmer as part of the package but I need to make sure I have all the stuff to it. I think it'll do better than my SeaClone... though it is working OK with a good air valve on it.

Okay,

that will work even better than I thought.
The skimmer and return pump go i the compartment in the far right, a foam sponge or a media bag with media of your choice goes into the baffle - skimmer return back into middle section and all set...

LilRobb;320847 wrote: Okay,

that will work even better than I thought.
The skimmer and return pump go i the compartment in the far right, a foam sponge or a media bag with media of your choice goes into the baffle - skimmer return back into middle section and all set...

The top hose connections stay on the left? How would you get the return pump outlet over to the other end? Just cross above the water inside?

And would you ditch the basket (which is the black part on the left)?

Gimme a ring, I might be back home by then - first birthday party at Logans little friend...

I'll take the stuff with me in case. I've never had a sump before and I need it right before it goes in or I'm... in a bad place.

The two connections on the left are both inlets for the sump, the return will be a PVC pipe from the right side back to the return in the tank - mine goes parallel to the tank floor above the sump.
I am actually converting my sump on sunday from bioballs to filter media - I am ditching the basket and adding either a multi layer felt filter or a simple filter sock - not sure yet.

OK, now I'm definitely confused. In its previous setup, one top hose was the tank-to-sump drain, and the other passed a clear flex hose from the pump, up through the hole (no bulkhead) and to the return pipe in the tank. The only reason I know that is I saw the plumbing in place before I made the deal to buy it. The right side IS the one with the plugged-off bulkhead, but it wasn't used. Since there is only one pipe coming out of the tank, if the two fittings on top are both inlets, shoud the unused one be left open of plugged? It's just a round hole in the glass, so closing it off would mean a bulkhead and cap, I guess.

To add:
I see why that setup wasn't the best... there was not much water flow end-to-end. the pump sat in the large side, just about 6-8" from the inlet hose.

Let's take a look tomorrow,
I had to remove the center brace in my stand )with the tank on top of it to make right what I started wrong...
So, rather safe than sorry...

LilRobb;320859 wrote: Let's take a look tomorrow,
I had to remove the center brace in my stand )with the tank on top of it to make right what I started wrong...
So, rather safe than sorry...

Yep... the center brace has to come out of the top to get the sump in or out, but I don't know if it would hold with the vertical brace out. I've been looking at ways to make that possible, but haven't come up with any I trust. If I have what I need to do the sump right, then IF I can get the tank clean (major job) and get plenty of water made up, I can still do this thing Sunday. I'll call you when I get off work.
Thanks a TON!

Back