Need some asterina starfish

bhbbhb

Market
Reaction score
So I had lots and lots of these asterina Starfish - so I got a pair of Harlequin shrimp. I figured it was going to take them a long time to reduce the population of Starfish. Well, several weeks later - I am hard pressed to find any in my tank. So, does anyone know where I might get some of these to feed the shrimp? I am also trying to catch them and pass them on. Just not sure of best way to get them. I have a chocolate Chip starfish in another tank. I was thinking of trying to lure them by placing the large starfish in the tank. Anyone have experience with that? Also if I want to feed them part of the chocolate chip starfish - do I just cut off part of a leg and drop it into my tank?
Thanks for any insight or suggestions
Bruce

My tank is all but over populated with the starfish. A few years ago I saw like 1 or 2 now they're everywhere. The funny thing is that they don't bother any of my corals or anything (else for that matter) so I don't bother them. I have no idea how they got in my tank, what they eat or besides manually, how to get rid of em. Lol.

I guess it's like a tense relationship.

They come in on liverock, and they can reproduce by simply pulling themselves apart. I did an experiment a few years ago where I chopped all but one leg off an asterina. Since he had 6 legs that left me with 6 pieces. Well in about 2 weeks time I have my 1 starfish with 5 new "buds", and 5 new starfish identical to the parent.

Some are coral eating pests but from my understanding alot of the ones we encounter are harmless detrivours. (Sp.) I have them in all my tanks and have never had an issue. Mostly the white outline with grey centered ones. Either way however they are a good part of the clean up crew so long as you don't have corals come up missing. :)

The reason most people don't like the asterina starfish is that it will leave white spots on your coraline algae as it eats it off your rock or back glass. I pick them off when I see them, I used to have hundreds, now just a few.:D

i have tons of asterina stars,i pick them out when i see them except for one that live in my overflow he's bigger then a quarter and he stays in the overflow.
the bottle trick should work with catching the shrimp put a leg of the starfish in a bottle with a string attached to it when the shrimp go inside the bottle pull them out

My pair used to come running when I would put a chocolate chip in. Shouldn't be hard to catch them at all. I used to cut one leg off at a time and leave the rest of it in the sump.

I have a lot of them in my tank, I have noticed that they will irritate my clams if they are up by the mantle. I also have a whole bunch of tiny brittle stars, can't think of the name right off hand. To think I actually bought some.... My LFS told me that Harlequins won't eat those.

It was actually easy to catch them. I used the suggestion to put some of the star fish in a jar. They found their way inside pretty quickly.
Now i think I am going to give them to someone who lots of stars and can keep them fed. Let me know if anyone is interested. Live in Sandy Springs near 285 and Riverside.

Back