Need some help planning my plumbing

spiderman097

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've finally settled in, and want to start the build for my old 180g aquarium. The aquarium will be on the main level above an unfinished basement, I'd like to have a sump in the cabinet, but have tubes running up from my workshop for water changes only. I'm looking for some tips/suggestions, any thing you think could be wrong with my plan?
Aquarium placement.jpg

Behind the aquarium is an exterior wall.

Outside Wall behind Aquarium.jpg

I'm thinking of cutting a small hole behind the aquarium where the tubes would exit, but I'd like to have a kind of tap there that I'd only hook up lines to when I want to perform a water change.
I was thinking of something along the lines of this (but since the o-rings are brass I'm not sure if I can do that with a reef system):
Quick Disconnect.jpg

The hole would also be good if there is a huge water spill, and I can push the water down into the basement to try to limit the damage to the hardwood.
Behind Aquarium.jpg

The beams run parallel to the aquarium, so I will be placing support columns under the aquarium to support the weight. Yes, that is the main waterline right under the aquarium.
Under Aquarium.jpg

About 20feet away, I have my workshop in the basement where I'll be making water for changes. I'm only going to be pumping water up to the aquarium, maybe once every 2 weeks, I'll probably be using a cheaper pump to move the water e.g. mag9.5
Basement Workshop.jpg

Finally, I have the blue print of my house in case some need some more information.
HouseBluePrint.jpg

Attachments

• Behind Aquarium.jpg
    Behind Aquarium.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
Actually I think this would be perfect. I'll have 2 of these sticking out, and then I'll plug in hoses when I'm ready to do my water changes.

I would plumb through the floor over plumbing outside, and the quick-connect should be fine after a cut-off valve. And I doubt you'll be happy with a Mag 9.5, only 950gph, much less pumping upstairs with a max head only 14'. Filling for water changes would take forever. I used these for a while before upgrading my mixing station, not the fastest but better than the 9.5, they did the job. They are still available. https://atlantareefclub.org/boards/...egard-pg2700-2642-gph-115v-20ft-cord.1178303/

Back