Need some help with a leaky bulkhead

pochaxoo

Market
Reaction score
Ok so the only remaining part of my basement build that has not passed the leak test is a 1" bulkhead on my 30 gallon skimmer sump.

I used plumber grease on the gasket but it is flat on one side and has rings on the other side. Which should go agains the glass? It leaked on the flat side.... Any help would be appreciated.

gasket goes on the "wet" side. you should be able to use the smooth or ringed side aginst the glass.

good luck

Jason

Not to contradict anyone here but I put my gaskets on the dry side.

It may be incorrect but they don't leak.

ares;336106 wrote: tightening it a little bit with a wrench, not too much though.

otherwise, for what its worth, these will seal themselves with salt within a day or 2.

I go with a hand tighten, and the a 1/4 to a 1/2 with a wrench. Salt creep sealing will work for some people, but I don't see it as an acceptable solution.

As long as the gasket is on the wet side, you'll be fine. If its a used sump, I'd clean the area where the gasket sites first to assure that it makes a good seal.

ares;336371 wrote: trouble is, there is nothing sealing the threads. so water could leak through them. it would be a slow leak and again, probably seal itself.

wetside vs dryside isnt really correct though, it needs to go on the flat side of the bulkhead,

some people mount their bulkheads backwards, so the threads and nut are on the wetside, in this case, the gasket will actually go on the dry side, and be correct.

The winning answer complete with explanation.

ares;336371 wrote: trouble is, there is nothing sealing the threads. so water could leak through them. it would be a slow leak and again, probably seal itself.

wetside vs dryside isnt really correct though, it needs to go on the flat side of the bulkhead,

some people mount their bulkheads backwards, so the threads and nut are on the wetside, in this case, the gasket will actually go on the dry side, and be correct.

100% correct. I just by nature like to keep my tools dry, and end up always having the gasket on the wet side :).

Hi, I agree with all the responses. I would add using PTF tape to the thread..
Also I added a hard clear rubber gaskets with an inner whole identical to the cut hole, this I then sealed with aquarium silicone against the acrylic surface, this then gives a little flexibility for when the nut is tightened against the acrylic and protects your thread.

Best of luck!

Back