Need Some Help with Tank Repair!

torqued

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As some of you may have seen in my tank build thread, my movers broke my rear mounted overflow on my custom 180g. I have the new glass in hand, and the silicone needed to fix it, but honesty very unsure how to go about building/supporting it while it cures. I would really appreciate anyone with tank building/repair experience chiming in, or even better who is willing to give me a hand :)

here are the pics

471c4cdb5b5a359118820a364322501f.jpg
alt="" />

overflow removed

3ace01d2241631f664b896f9787ec316.jpg
alt="" />

I have since cleaned up the back, and it is prepped and ready to be rebuilt. I was hoping to make it a project for this weekend if at all possible.

Never done this before and I didn't stay at a hotel last night. But here's a link that might get you going. He's gluing acrylic... but i think the concept of using a jig and clamps would be the same acrylic or glass.

I understand you already have the glass but why not make this out of acrylic? Don't think I would trust an exterior bond of acrylic to glass with silicone.

dball711;1116555 wrote: I understand you already have the glass but why not make this out of acrylic? Don't think I would trust an exterior bond of acrylic to glass with silicone.
The tank is glass and the overflow is glass. You are correct. You absolutely would not want one glass and one acrylic, they would not bond together enough. Internal would not be as much if a risk, but still not recommended.

I built the overflow this morning after watching some YouTube.

I will let it sit for 48hrs before attaching to the tank.
72cd8d507e507c33cc49f6cab5319ba2.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Looks good. I know the tricky part is supporting it while sealing it to the main tank. Good luck, but it looks like you are well on your way to getting this handled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah the plan is to build a Support for it to sit on and clamp it to the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back