Need some input on.....

notireef

Market
Reaction score
a Skimmer!!!

I will be starting a build thread soon (hopefully) for my 110.
Total volume with sump will be 157.9 gallons approximately :D Very excited!!

I am having issues with choosing a skimmer.
I want something that I will be happy with long term.
I have a budget-$300-$350 with pump, etc.

So far I am looking into the MRC and Octopus protein skimmers.
I need your help figuring this out.:shout:
I need to know pros/cons....your experience with them...I have read on a thread about the Octopus pumps seizing up (does that happen often??).
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I can't see why anyone wouldn't buy an MRC.

Here is my reasoning..they skim the crap outta some crap and they are local.

I have had an Octo and loved it. I have an MR 2 and love it but when my MR 1 had a problem, I hopped in the truck took it to them and they fixed it and had me out the door in 5 minutes for a very reasonable price.

There is something to be said for that.

So it's between the MR-1 and Octo extreme 200.
They are both great skimmers but I want to know what would be better for a 110G fully stocked tank. Price and performance are key issues.
I am leaning towards the Octopus because I found a great deal online for under $300...pump and mesh mod included and free shipping.

Notireef
If I was you I would check out some of the issues people are having with the MGF of the Octo skimmers. From what I have read there CS is realy crappy .

I was under the impression that Sicce pumps were pretty good quality?
I think am going with the Octopus Extreme 200-there is a 1 year warranty on the pump and the body.

I would go with the MRC skimmer. You can always add on an additional beckett for a tank upgrade which we all do. Plus they are local. I have a used mrc skimmer and love it. Theres a little more cleaning to do with a beckett skimmer but its really nothing. Great skimmer great price even better service with a local company...... No more getting put on hold with someone who doesnt care about fixing your problem. Plus you can have a port add for ozone and a collection cup with carbon.

You might look into to MRC Ocean Force 200. Although it is smaller (7.5"x5.5") I believe it will out perform the Octopus beause of the additional 3" in height which will provide more contact time between the air bubbles and water.

Chris MRC's OF-200 looks good. I will talk to you more about it tom.
Anyone have one of these up and running???

The MR-1 is a more aggressive skimmer than the nw skimmers. It will require a little more maintenance (it's easy), but will also skim more for you. The nw skimmers (ocean force, octo) don't require much maintenance, but don't skim as much as the beckett skimmers (they still skim well though).
If you're looking to overstock and overfeed, you'll want to skim as aggressively as possible.

If you're concerned about pump warranty, you'll have the best warranty on the blueline pump for the MR-1 (3 years)-u won't need it though, the pumps are bullet proof.

I'm not sure what the warranty on the octopus products are. I would think 90 days to 1 year. Ocean force pumps have a 1 year warranty; they will be replaced/repaired locally-no dealing with China :)

Back