Need some input

hnguyen

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in need of some input. Here's a quick run down. I've had my 60 cube up for about 3-4 months now and I've never dosed any at all since it's been set up. I made sure I didn't stock it with any SPS or high calcium consumption coral due to the fact I didn't want to dose or run a calcium reactor at this time. I've never even tested for cal, alk or mag either.

Well, after talking with a fellow member, I decided to pick up some BRS two part and also borrowed a red sea test kit from a friend to test my system to see where I stood with my parameters. Well, I tested according to the instructions and my results are:

Cal - 480
Alk - 9dkh
Mag - 1650

I've been using reef crystals from the start with this tank and it's stocked with mostly zoa's, mini colony of hammer and frog spawn ( both about 6-8 inches across).

I guess my concern is rather or not the test kit is accurate or if reef crystal salt have just upped their game. Either that or my corals aren't using ANY cal, alk or mag at all, which I don't believe that to be the case since almost every coral will use a bit of each.

What do you guys think?

Basically. But having ph issues and low calcium

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

Hnguyen;894262 wrote: Hey guys, I'm in need of some input. Here's a quick run down. I've had my 60 cube up for about 3-4 months now and I've never dosed any at all since it's been set up. I made sure I didn't stock it with any SPS or high calcium consumption coral due to the fact I didn't want to dose or run a calcium reactor at this time. I've never even tested for cal, alk or mag either.

Well, after talking with a fellow member, I decided to pick up some BRS two part and also borrowed a red sea test kit from a friend to test my system to see where I stood with my parameters. Well, I tested according to the instructions and my results are:

Cal - 480
Alk - 9dkh
Mag - 1650

I've been using reef crystals from the start with this tank and it's stocked with mostly zoa's, mini colony of hammer and frog spawn ( both about 6-8 inches across).

I guess my concern is rather or not the test kit is accurate or if reef crystal salt have just upped their game. Either that or my corals aren't using ANY cal, alk or mag at all, which I don't believe that to be the case since almost every coral will use a bit of each.

What do you guys think?
whats your water change schedule?

IVEgotCRABS;894265 wrote: Basically. But having ph issues and low calcium

My PH is around 8.1 during the day and 7.9 at night. No low calcium either.

heathlindner25;894266 wrote: whats your water change schedule?

I do about 20 gallons every week. I'm guessing my total water volume is around 80-90 gallons with everything I have running. Two 20 gallon sumps, 15 gallon fuge and 60 gallon display. Taking away the rocks and sand I guess it's around 80-90.

I guess the big question is if water change alone is enough to keep my parameters up like that or if the test kit is off. From what I understand, the Red Sea test kit is pretty good though.

IVEgotCRABS;894271 wrote: Mine 7.8 during the day
Cal 380

I'm not really worried about low PH so long as it stays stable. Back in the day my PH would always be around 7.8 and never had a problem.

I have certain zoas and palys not opening for the last week

That's a pretty good amount of water being changed every week. I could see it leaving levels where they should be.

IVEgotCRABS;894273 wrote: I have certain zoas and palys not opening for the last week

That's funny because I'm having the same problem short of. My rasta has been going down hi for the past two months and everything else is fine. My scan has even sprouted out 5 new heads. Everything is doing great but the rasta. I'm hoping its just because its right under my frog spawn and it may be getting stung. Just moved it today in hopes it recovers. I'm also not getting any coralline algae either. I thought it was due low country but after testing my cal I figured it wasn't the case.

Back